Treadmill Exercise Use

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone use an exercise "treadmill"? I am interested in finding out how they are used. How long do people use them on a daily basis? Is it like 15 min per day? A half hour per day? Something like that?

Have used in the past and yep 20-40 minutes at varying speeds usually start with a jog and then up to a sprint and then down to a run and finish on a sprint

Much thanks! That's pretty much what I expected.

My friend's wife has a treadmill she uses occasionally (few times a week at most) for about 20 to 30 minutes at a time. She said it was boring compared to the elliptical machine, which she uses for an hour or more quite often.
She said she preferred walking outside to the treadmill too.

I was thinking about the boring part. I thought that those "walking vlogs" I've been playing with lately might be appreciated. I think that you could run them on a small tablet computer to watch, and maybe have headphones for music, and that could add some variety. The ones I've made so far are low quality compared to some other vloggers, but still, the variety alone might be appreciated.

I thought watching tv while on the treadmill or elliptical would make time go faster but it doesn’t. Find some music that has a beat that matches your pace. That helps a lot. I sold the treadmill and got an elliptical a few years ago. I much prefer the elliptical to the treadmill. I don’t miss it. If I just want to walk I take the dog and we walk in the woods. If weather is frequently wet or too hot/cold where you live then a treadmill may be a good option.

When I get in the mood to exercise, I walk on on for 30 min a day. I haven't been in the mood for a while and need to get back into it.

I use a treadmill quite often (usually when the weather is extreme or the air quality is bad--those Canadian forest fires you know). I almost always listen to music (ala Square Peg) when I'm on it. I will sometimes watch a movie on my laptop with headphones. I will vary the pace (my knees won't allow running so it's between a pace of 3mph to 4mph). I will sometimes raise the incline (which will work your upper thighs more).

As for "how long"--that depends (on stuff like your age, weight, current condition). Any exercise is better than no exercise. 10-15 minutes isn't going to be much of an aerobic workout. I try to get a minimum of 12,000 steps every single day (and I'm mostly very successful at doing this). So the treadmill is very helpful for this.

I can’t stand a treadmill I’d rather walk outside regardless of weather.

Ok, I have two "walking vlogs" I have been working on that might help with this sort of exercise, and, unfortunately I cannot edit them right now (computer problems). I have posted one:

"Toronto Beaches Boardwalk"

NOTE: It's the video in the 32nd comment in this topic, not the 31st comment.

The other might take a while. The "Boardwalk" clip is good for about 20 min. The clip is longer, but has some minor problems. My hand got tired and the camera "dipped".

The boardwalk is fairly straight forward and relaxing. If I get the other one done it's a bit more interesting. It goes through neighbourhoods.

Last edited:
The only exercise I get using our treadmill is when I hang some clothing on it or am taking some off of it.

I've had a treadmill, one of the ones that you could watch videos on or "walk" a scenic route, and it would simulate walking up and down inclines, but it was a pain to move around, and just never really caught on. I'd rather spend 30 minutes walking along the lake trail, even with the heat, so we got rid of the treadmill and I just walk along the lake.

I use it occasionally when I'm at the gym too early for a workout or have some extra will after it, but I'd rather go for an actual walk. Never had a desire to haveone at home, however, I do have an exercise bicycle for indoor cycling and I use it for rainy or cold days when going outside isn't a pleasant option. Staying motivated is the hardest part though, I used a body editor do make myself thinner in pictures, then printed them out and I still have them around to stay on track. Sometimes I might be watching something and cycling, feeling tired and then a glance at the picture of the "new" me would help me get through the workout.

Indoor cycling also seems more effective imo, you can give it a try- Exercise bike vs. treadmill: which one offers a better workout?.

I am starting to realize that what I have been doing has kept me reasonably healthy and fit. More than that, I am seeing that if you don't walk much, you tend to lose the ability. My own balance is not as stable as it used to be. The long walks in my shorter videos (ones around 5 min) were comfortable. The long "Beaches" walk was starting to be hard on my feet. I did not get blisters, but there was "discomfort"..

I looked at the bike v. treadmill comparison. It was about what I expected. I used to make long bike trips when I was young. I spent a day riding 10 - 20 miles. But I rode leisurely. I was never in "wonderfully fit" shape, but I was "ok". As an old person now, I could say about the same. My weight is back down. I am about 130 - 132 lbs. (I don't check the kilos).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back