Tree experiments

yummifruitbat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Me again...

On the same trip to Southerndown, I spotted this windswept tree and liked the pattern of the clouds behind it. At the time I thought 'hmm, black and white?', but once I got into Photoshop I couldn't decide what to do with it.

The first image is pretty much straight out of the camera, any opinions on the others?

P1010067wborder_resize.jpg

P1010067bw1wborder_resize.jpg

P1010067awborder_resize.jpg

P1010067bwborder_resize.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Yummifruitbat

BTW, all of my photos are taken with an Olympus C-750UZ, sometimes with Hoya UV(0) or Polariser filters. If I wasn't a poor student I'd like to get my hands on some DSLR kit but... oh well :meh:

I like the colour version (first), though it might not, as jadin is observing, gain anything. But the clouds, which were what you wanted in connection with the windswept tree, are better to be seen in that one. Overall I'd prefer to see it a bit more saturated (or darkened a bit with the contrasts pushed).

The last two versions don't speak to me, I'm afraid.

Very dramatic... even more so in the b/w
i love it!
however i would have liked to see it even more contrasty... pehaps it would add to the mood of the image :D
nice variations... but like corinna (lafoto) says the last two don't do it for me.. #1 & #2 :thumbsup:
thanks for sharing :mrgreen:

Thanks for all your comments guys!

I agree about the last two shots - my favourite was the B&W too. Good fun to experiment though :)

I see what you mean about losing some of the impact of the clouds, so I've gone for a kind of half-way point between LaFoto and jadin, and tried to up the contrast in the B&W. I didn't want to take it too far or I'd start to burn out the details near the horizon.

P1010067bw2wborder_resize.jpg

Better/worse? OTE, btw :wink:

Thanks again for looking!

Congratulations!
You got it!
Now I also like the black and white version better than the colour version! :D

New version looks spot on except everything seems to be leaning and sloping to the right. The camera may be level but with so many elements in the same direction would it look better rotated a little?

I see what you mean, but the way everything slopes to the right is one of the things I liked about the photo - everything (most obviously the tree) has been swept to the right by the wind from the sea.

But thanks for commenting anyway! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back