Tree

I've posted plenty of pictures that got very very little response.

Ok, so, nobody listen to me any more. Listen to pgriz. Thanks for that awesomeness.

You wanted a quote from me earlier. Here ya go!

Are you being funny, or are you somehow reading this as me deflecting criticism? I'm tentatively going with 'funny' because this thread's about due for a lift.

Going back to the image, I'd say you were about ten minutes too late (assuming we're facing roughly north, and the sun was setting), because it would have been neat to see the sun rake the vines on the wall and create a lighter backdrop. As it is, the sun lights the tree and a bit of the bottom of the wall. And while we're at it, you should have pulled out your portable step-ladder and got a perspective about a foot higher which would have eliminated that bit of sky. ;)

Part of the challenge of picture-taking, is to convince the viewer of your point of view or perspective. It's not about being the "arteeest", but giving the viewer the necessary references points so that they "naturally" see what you see.

Then there's the issue of "pretty" vs. "great" . In my view, a "great" image should provoke emotion and/or a "wow" reaction. Ideally, the image should become a window on a deeper truth, and the viewer should read into the image. What they read may or may not be what the photographer intended, but certainly, a "great" image should cause engagement with the viewer.

Holy Crap, is this ever the truth about photography as I see it.

People are looking at the picture above and really not 'seeing' it. They are projecting what it could be as a composition and not so much what it is as a picture.
As a picture, imo, it is not finished. The brights are too bright, the reds not brilliant enough to provide counterpoint and not much in the middle tones. If ever there was a justification for tone-mapping, this is it. The trunk and the leaves shouldn't be blown out.

The cloning shouldn't eradicate what is behind the wall, but subdue it and leave a hint of what was there to give the picture some 'depth'

To be really satisfactory this image needs more detail in the colors so I can revel in the reality or less detail so I can accept it for an impression. In the middle, to me, it just isn't sharp enough and it's an 'almost'.

A-Treelllll.jpg~original

Paul continues to be my hero

No offence to anyone but, I"m just curious how many of us here get this amount of attention and replies ?

edit: typo

Andrew posts a lot here. That garners him a lot of visibility... Good and bad. That means when he posts people pay attention. The lesson here is the more you put in the more you receive.

:blushing::blushing::blushing:

I'd leave "hero" for people who run into burning buildings to save others. And those who care for loved ones who no longer can, and do it with love and compassion.

:blushing::blushing::blushing:

I'd leave "hero" for people who run into burning buildings to save others. And those who care for loved ones who no longer can, and do it with love and compassion.

I have a weak criteria set. I also think amolitor is a hottie.

:)

Pretty tree. Makes me want apple cider.

Most reactions

Back