Tripod and head help

nikon90s

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking for a new tripod and head, I have a problem picking what I want or need. I really want a head like this bogen 3265
5558.jpg

but this is the only one I have found in the grip style.

as for the tripod I like the giottos mt9160
296583.jpg

but I don't like how nuts hold the legs. I would like the leg to lock like the Bogen
217263.jpg

anyone have an idea on a tripod and head I should look for? I want a "not so heavy" tripod and a Fast moving head. I photograph birds so want to have a eazy to move head that I can lock down fast to that is why I am looking at the grip head.

I've seen knock-offs of the bogen grip style ball head but none of them seem to be up to par in quality. I would not recommend the 3265 as it is only rated for 5lbs and I am not too keen on its design. Not to mention you 70-200mm lens is probably already 3lbs+. Bogen's newer version of a grip style head, 3222RC has a grip that I feel is a better design. The grip can be configured to the left, to the right and vertical ( hard to explain... see website ) It is also rated for 11lbs in its right or left configuration.

I'm biased towards manfrotto legs.. they are generally priced right and pretty darn stable. I would recommend getting a sling that attaches between the legs. Allows you to weigh down the tripod with rocks or your other equipment. You will need the extra weight when you start attaching heavier lenses, unstable ground, or start recomposing frequently.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=8&itemid=2529

Personally, I would pass up the grip style ball heads and go with bogen's Proball series. They are rated for 30lbs+ pounds, have a nice tension adjustment, and a teflon coated ball. Nice smooth action and you could adjust the tension enough to hold in place without having to lock. The only down side is that you'll be spending a bit more on the proballs.

bogen makes very good heads. The pistol grip one is nice. I would choose a gitzo tripod over a bogen. I fell they are better made, but you pay a premium price for that.

What I do is use this grip-thingy that sits on top of whatever head you've got. I've got 3 tripods and none of them are just the way I want. My favorite tripod won't even adjust horizontally!

But it works just like that Bogen head, it just has an adapter on the bottom so it will attach in place of a camera. Mine has a bushing for different thread sizes. Here's what it looks like: http://www.slik.com/afe.html

It's made by SLIK out of Japan. It's sturdy and I've had no problems with it. The part that your camera attaches to is an adapter you can separate "with ease" when you want to whisk your camera off without hassle and then you can clip it back on again. I wish I had two or three of those adapters.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=B9Yu5WhlD4!-320862436?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=SLIK+AF2100

My dad gave it to me when he found it at a yardsale for $5 or so! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back