Tripod..help?

wmc1117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok...I am pretty sure I asked this before but I am taking a phtography class that requires tripods and I do not have one. Therefore, I come to my faithful and reliable forum for advice. I want a good quality tripod in the $200 range if possible including head and legs for a Canon XS?? Any help guys would be appreciated.

I use the Velbon Sherpa 200R, and it's a solid tripod and head for the price (under $200). I've really beaten up on it too sometimes (driving the legs into piles of rocks to get more stability, for instance). Sure, the ballhead could be better (it's smooth and easy to use, it's just a little tricky sometimes to get a level shot, if the tripod isn't very close to level itself), but for what it is, it's great. Probably one of the best you can get without spending the money on a complete tripod, ballhead, and L-bracket set.

I use Manfrotto 055XPROB legs and 488RC4 and (mostly) 322RC2 heads. Quite popular legs here. I'd go with the 488RC2 head as opposed to the RC4 head, but prefer the 322 most of the time. I have heavy bodies and glass. It's always a better policy to have max load capability more than you intend to mount on it.

190XPROB legs are also quite popular. A bit shorter and lighter methinks, but the 055X legs are a good working height for me at (used to be 5'-10") now have dropped ~1/2".... spinal surgeries, old age.... arrggghhhh

I use Manfrotto 055XPROB legs and 488RC4 and (mostly) 322RC2 heads. Quite popular legs here. I'd go with the 488RC2 head as opposed to the RC4 head, but prefer the 322 most of the time. I have heavy bodies and glass. It's always a better policy to have max load capability more than you intend to mount on it.

190XPROB legs are also quite popular. A bit shorter and lighter methinks, but the 055X legs are a good working height for me at (used to be 5'-10") now have dropped ~1/2".... spinal surgeries, old age.... arrggghhhh

055XPROB and a 488 head blows through the OP's $200 budget unfortunately.

For a tripod, I wouldn't hesitate to check e-bay (I got mine and head at great price there). No optics or electronics to worry about.

Ian

Ok ok, I also forgot to include that I am 6'2'' so would that hinder any of these selections?

I'm gonna steal your thread for a bit since I'm getting a tripod too.

Anyhow, I've been looking at several tripods and the 055XPROB looks interesting but I don't know yet if I want to spend that much money at the moment even if I can afford it. I found a internet shop selling a Digipod A2830 aluminium tripod for a reasonable price with pretty similar loading capacity and perfect height for me, but I just haven't found any reviews on it so I have no idea how good it really is. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

Most reactions

Back