Tripod Question

settons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am a noobie at the whole photography thing. I just recently purchased by first DSLR and know that I need a tripod to achieve some of the effects I want to achieve (slow shutter speed of water). I am not looking for a pro tripod or anything right now, I will upgrade if I need to later. I mostly do nature, landscape type photography, plus macro. I will be bringing it on hiking trips.

I am trying to understand the different types of heads? Is a ball head what I need? If not, what should I be using? Is there a type that is ideal for what I am looking to shoot.

I found a used Velbon Max i 343E ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/VELBON-343E-Lightweight-Photographic-Tripod/dp/B00006HOO1[/ame])

Not sure if it matters, but I have a Canon 40D.

Thanks,

D

Choosing a tripod is largely a personal decision. Some people might like a ball head more than a 3-way head, some might not. You probably don't want a pan & tilt head, those are more suited to video. You might wand a small, light weight ball head, or a pistol grip ball head.

If you are thinking of doing macro, you will want to consider how low a tripod can go. I had a good look at a new Manfrotto where the centre column slides all the way up, then tilts down 90 degrees and slides back across the head. This allows the legs to spread right out, so that you can have the camera supported while only a few inches above the ground.

It really depends on how much you can spend. A good tripod with a good head will be several hundred dollars. Although, is a lot of common situations, a $40 tripod will work just as good (although the cheap ones don't tend to last very long).

When is comes to tripods, there are three things...
1. Sturdy with a good build quality.
2. Light weight
3. Low price

You only get to have two of the three choices.

Remember, if you buy a cheap tripod, think of it this way. You are putting down a deposit one a new tripod... a deposit you won't get back.

Not that you should spend a ton on a first tripod, simply suggesting that Walmart is out of the question. :wink:

Regarding heads, it is a personal thing, however I recommend a ball head or ball with grip. They are really small and great for travel. I have a 3 way pan n tilt head that is super sturdy but impossible to travel with. The ball head is great for that.

The Velbon that I am considering is used. I'm not spending much on it. If I feel it is something I use often, then I will consider a more expensive one.

So ball head is the concensus?

Not that you should spend a ton on a first tripod, simply suggesting that Walmart is out of the question. :wink:
Ooops....

:D

(Note, I only have a little $200 superzoom, $30 Walmart tripods are just fine for that. Very good for that in fact.)

Most reactions

Back