Tripod questions

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Youngun, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Youngun

Youngun TPF Noob!

I'm looking for a to buy a tripod, and I really have no idea what to look for. It will hold an F100 and small lenses, and will hopefully not be a beast, since I will probably be taking it places. Brands? Features? Thanks in advance...

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try a search, there must be some Tripod threads here somewhere.

What's your budget? You can't go wrong with something like Manfrotto but they can be pricey.

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Gitzo and Manfrotto ( Bogen is the same company ) for higher end stuff. I have a couple Manfrotto/Bogen tripods and they are built like tanks so don't be afraid to purchase used. I've seen them go over $500 for a carbon lightweight high tech tripod ( I only wish i had one ) and as little as 35 bucks for my 3011 w/ tripan head at a camera swap. Its heavy but extremely stable with even my heaviest lenses.

For less expensive, I like velbon's offerings.

4. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I'd like to put in some free advertising for Velbon. Having said that, my budget is pretty limited. Like everyone else I'd probably go for Gitzo or Manfrotto if I could afford them. Once you've tried quick-release you may wonder how you ever got on without it (saves on constant screwing and unscrewing of camera to tripod). Portability is clearly an issue, but if I had an F100 then the tripod's sturdiness would be more important to me since I'd be terrified of even the slightest chance of it ever falling over.