tripod

Hazel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a beginner in photography. I have a canon 5d and my largest lense is a 300mm. Now i'm looking for a tripod for my study. Since I'm quite a beginner I'm not sure yet what I'm going to use it for most. So I want something which is good for indoors and also not too heavy and bulky so I can take it out. I'm thinking of a gitzo 1257 (3 section) or 1258 (4 section) with a 2272m tripod head. Not sure what is better for use and sturdier (btw I'm about 5ft10). And also should a take a geared version or not. Hopefully someone can advise me.
Hazel

In general, tripods are steady in relationship to their weight. The lighter ones [at the same price] use flimsier construction and are less steady. Pick the cheapest, heaviest one you can still lug around. Consider also hanging a 5# weight from the center of the tripod.

If you have a platform on which to rest the camera such as a car roof, simple beanbags may suffice for field work. I've used beanbags to stabilize my 400mm lens.

And don't forget a cable release.

A 300mm doesn't tell much. Is it the 2.8 or 4? Or some zoom?

I don't know anything about the head. I have the bogen 3047, but with carbon fiber legs you might find it too heavy.

I have a gitzo 2220 with 3047bogen. IMO 12xx gitzo tripods would be a bit too light.

I have my eye set on G1329 as my next tripod. It's STURDY and light. You only add 1.5 pounds to the weight of the legs. But I don't have to lug my tripod around too much.

For a travel pod I love these at 1 1/4 lb.

If you want to get one off ebay then consider my previously posted sales pitch...

Vintage Bilora Biloret's bought from ebay. I use Nikon FM2 and FE2 with Sigma 28-300 and 18-35 lenses. They are HEAVY and I have no stability complaints with the Biloret's. I sought diligently for the mother of all practical tripods and found it (them) in the vintage German Bilora Biloret tripods. And quality construction! They have the space saving ball head compared to the pan tilt. I do not need a panning handle. I bought the 3 I have on ebay at less than $20.00 with shipping for each. The 3 cover every need I have. For the ultimate in a light weight pocket model, the aluminum 1007K. About 1/2 lb. Flat-ish with legs all in a row when "folded" to 10" long. Or similar Biloret aluminum model. Maybe not the most durable for the very heavy handed like me but very light. For standard tripod photos I use the awesome 2037 brass beauty with out notches. About 1 1/4 lb. This is 11" tube shape folded and what I would take with out concerns on an African safaris or other once in a life time trip. If I carry my close up bellows setup I use the 2037 model with notches. Apparently the 2037 came with and with out. The one with notches allows the legs to be literally horizontal with the camera only 4" or so off the ground. Or any other height. With a close up bellows you can see how this could be an advantage. Also it is handy to do on the roof of a car or similar. I found only one modern day equivalent at only one place in my searches. It was at Circuit City and not prominently displayed. Rather the 3 were just sitting on top shelf of the racks. They were about $20.00. What good is a big tripod that you find excuses for not taking along? I do not hesitate with these.

Torus34 said:
In general, tripods are steady in relationship to their weight. The lighter ones [at the same price] use flimsier construction and are less steady. Pick the cheapest, heaviest one you can still lug around. Consider also hanging a 5# weight from the center of the tripod.

I'm with heavy all the way! Ok, it's a pain in the backside to cart around, but there's absolutely (IMO) no point whatsoever in a tripod which moves. I'm usually using a tripod for night exposures or for sharpening up shots like model work, so you may have a different requirement if you're always going to carry it.

Just a quick opinion, not advice!

Rob

DocFrankenstein: it's a zoom lense 75-300mm, 1.5m/4.9ft

Hazel said:
DocFrankenstein: it's a zoom lense 75-300mm, 1.5m/4.9ft
Anything will hold a 70-300, so you're covered with a 12xx gitzo for sure. Even if you get a heavy glass later, it will be your ultra portable setup for the rest of your life.

Then there's also "feisol" which I've heard a lot of good stuff about. They sell direct from korea or taiwan and I think ebay. Light carbon fiber, which compares to gitzo but shorter (I think)

A head is so personal, I'm even afraid of suggesting anything. I've tried almost a dozen of them and haven't found one that I really like. (Yes, I'm aware of the irony with my name) Ended up with bogen 3way, but I don't like the weight.

That gitzo looks nice and light. But it doesn't accept arca swiss quick release plates... which is a pain...

Good luck with your search. You also have to choose a quick release system too. Arca Swiss is costly, but universal with large lenses and "serious photogs" I have the hexagonal bogen one. RC0 or RC2...

i use a super light wate aluminum tripod good for begeners not advanced easy to toad and its not to expensive i like it and its greate for what i need but my photgraphy suports free hand and mono pod use realy

Most reactions

Back