Tripods???

leopardforest

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for a decent tripod. Two requirement needs to support a Canon 400D, and I would prefer to have it go to about 74 inches. Any suggestions? Brands, heads, and anything else i should look for?

Thanks in advance!!!

I also recommend Manfrotto/Bogen...very good brand.

74 inches is pretty high...I'm sure there are some that get that high...but they are probably top of the line models and rather expensive.

Ball heads are great...and the 400D is a very small DSLR camera so you should have to worry about weight unless you are using a large lens.

You might want to consider a pistol grip ball head, they are very easy to use and they are a bit taller than a typical head.

I don't have to have 74 inches but i am 6'2" or 74 inches and would like to have the ability to have my camera at eye level. What are the benefits of a ball head vs other options?

I don't have to have 74 inches but i am 6'2" or 74 inches and would like to have the ability to have my camera at eye level. What are the benefits of a ball head vs other options?

Hey Leo, I am 6'3" so I understand your situation. What's worse, I have a bad back complete with surgeries and all, so stooping is not easy. My best advice is to pick a tripod that meets your height WITHOUT having to raise the center column if possible. I say this because the first tripod I got I had to raise the center column/post a lot which resulted in shakiness.

Best of luck!

Hey Leo, I am 6'3" so I understand your situation. What's worse, I have a bad back complete with surgeries and all, so stooping is not easy. My best advice is to pick a tripod that meets your height WITHOUT having to raise the center column if possible. I say this because the first tripod I got I had to raise the center column/post a lot which resulted in shakiness.

Best of luck!

What was the brand? I am also a student therefor i am looking for something more on the inexpensive side.

I am 6'3, but eye level is about 5 or 6 inches lower than the top of my head. At 74 inches you will have to stand on your tip toes to look through the viewfinder.

I will second, or third or where ever we are in the chain, about a Manfrotto tripod.

This is my personal choice, but if you prefer a ball head the same legs can be had with the 488RC2 ball head.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/353324-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__3021BPRO_Tripod_Black_with.html

What are the benefits of a ball head vs other options?
They are quick and easy. Other heads (pan/tilt & 3-way) might be more precise for small adjustments but they might also take longer to set each time you change.

I'm 6'1" and the tripod that I have fully extended with ballhead is pretty comfortable to look through. I don't have to scrunch down too much to look through it.

I use the Bogen 3021BPRO legs and a 488RC4 ball head. Strong enough if you decide to use heavy f/2.8 lenses.

I am 6'3, but eye level is about 5 or 6 inches lower than the top of my head. At 74 inches you will have to stand on your tip toes to look through the viewfinder.

I will second, or third or where ever we are in the chain, about a Manfrotto tripod.

This is my personal choice, but if you prefer a ball head the same legs can be had with the 488RC2 ball head.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/353324-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__3021BPRO_Tripod_Black_with.html

Looks like a good tripod and tall at 73.3 inches. $287--nobody ever said photography was cheap-But you get what you pay for eh.
This would work on my Canon XTi?:lol:

Most reactions

Back