Trying high key photography for the first time (in a budget)

Greg Treviño

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, this is the first time i buy a backdrop in an effort to take my photography skills to a new level (i still consider myself and amateur btw)i am looking for advise, tips and critique as well.

I don't have the budget to buy the necessary equipment for this type of photography although i tried some DYI magic to try this out, let me know what do you think about this picture.
IMG_4807_zpsvanubpav.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This are some "behind the scenes" pictures so that you guys have an idea of what i used for the photoshoot

IMG_4804_zpswulvu3jz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_4803_zpszmizum6i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

On a side note, this picture is straight out of the camera.

i noticed my baby's shoes were dirty after i finished the photo session :( what do the pros (you) think ? Should i try to "clean" them in photoshop or does it give the picture a natural look?

IMG_4807.JPG
IMG_4803.JPG
IMG_4804.JPG
Not sure why the above links for the pictures didnt work

Given the equipment you have, that's a pretty darn respectable result! As far as the shoes go, I would definitely try and clean the worst of the dirt off; I don't know that they have to be pure white, but getting the big chunks off, wouldn't hurt at all. A couple of thoughts for potential improvement: I would bring your key (main) light a little closer to the camera (say 30 degrees off of lens axis) which will bring a little more light and tame the cross shadows on the lad's face. I would also have a helper stand behind you and call the dog, that way he will [hopefully] look at the camera too.

The concept is sound. The execution is a bit weak. The shadows across the kid's face are somewhat deep. A reflector would've helped. This is not unlike my usual set ups, except I use speedlights exclusively.

Good C and C above. Move the key and fill positions out of the X light. Have a 0 degree fill and a 30 degree key. Clean shoes in PS. Good wardrobe on the boy.

I'm a total noob, but in addition to what was said above anyways, haha...

I'd probably move the key light closer to help light more evenly, and I'd would have thrown a piece of foam core board to his front to reflect some of that flash back, and maybe get some more light in his eye sockets and under his hat.

i noticed my baby's shoes were dirty after i finished the photo session :( what do the pros (you) think ? Should i try to "clean" them in photoshop or does it give the picture a natural look?
Definitely clean the shoes or remove them for the next attempt.

IMO, I don't think I would call this a "high key" shot. The key light is not doing what you had hoped. Is this a continuous lighting setup?

Is the backdrop paper white or off-white? It looks yellowish to me.

For your next attempt, dress your model in lighter-colored clothing, (perhaps all white), move the key light to the front, and adjust the colors post-capture to be more correct.

Agreed-this is technically not "high key"...the clothes are too dark to be true high key. This is a common mis-use of the term high key. This is just a white background shot.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback, i'm going to try it again today. Btw i was under the impression that any picture that had a white background was a high key picture.

I'm going to buy two more clamp lamps today for the background that wil give me the ability to move my key and fill light to a better position.

Definitely clean the shoes or remove them for the next attempt.

IMO, I don't think I would call this a "high key" shot. The key light is not doing what you had hoped. Is this a continuous lighting setup?

Is the backdrop paper white or off-white? It looks yellowish to me.

For your next attempt, dress your model in lighter-colored clothing, (perhaps all white), move the key light to the front, and adjust the colors post-capture to be more correct.
Paper is white, i missed the correct white balance settings in the camera that's why it looks yellowish (again didn't notice till after i had finished the photoshoot) noob mistakes i guess :p

No, a white background is not what makes a high-key picture; that is a common mistake, similar to, say, calling any play in which there is a song that is sung aloud by a stage performer "an opera".

A high-key picture has mostly light tonal values, not medium- and dark-colored clothing. However, your use of the term is understandable. I think most people use the term as you did.

A small tip: see how BIG his shoes seem, compared to his face? That effect is called foreshortening; it comes from being too close to the subject, and with a lens length that is too short; try moving the camera farther back next time, and the feet will appear more-natural in size, compared with his face.

Just ask him to sit on his ankles, putting the shoes behind him, and lean his upper body forward just a bit to make his face about even with his knees. That way, your DOF doesn't have to be way deep. In fact, if you want to use a longer focal length, you can. Get way back to the other side of the room with a longer focal length and while you're at it, frame the shot vertically. Get the dog in tight. Put your model's arm over the dog's withers, pulling the dog in close. get a clicker or a squeaky toy to get the dog's attention. Snap when both are looking at the lens.

PSX_20170331_212835.jpg
PSX_20170331_212928.jpg
So i gave it another shot! I know the shades! It was a little hard to position the lights with the little one moving around all the time lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back