Trying to Decide on 70-300 to fit Nikon

supraman215

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, Jeff sorry to kind of butt into your thread, but I've also had a question about the 70-300 selection. It was a question between the two 70-300 Nikkors, so if anyone after answering Jeff's questions could answer mine that'd be great.

REAL Difference between the 70-300 4/5.6 and 4.5/5.6. I know one is pretty significantly more expensive than the other, and that it is an AF-s and a VR but are those the the only real differences?

Jeff, If you feel this post intrudes let me know and I'll remove it.

I saw that lens on craigslist barely used for $400 I should have jumped on it.

Yes, unless you go for the VR version, all the options are pretty poor lenses, although they are a cheap way to get a telephoto lens.

I think I'll wait till I have the money for the VR version. I think I'm gonna pick up a sb-600 instead.

the vr version have 9 rounded blade that will produce a nice bokeh.
i never had a look at that lens but since i am in need for a telephoto lens and dont have the money right now for the 70-200, i will look into trying one of these.

I would disagree about the bokeh. My opinion is it can be pretty ugly.

Here's an example. The exif got stripped at some point, but I want to say that it was shot at f/6.3.

Here's an example. The exif got stripped at some point, but I want to say that it was shot at f/6.3.

oh god you are right, i always though that more rounded diaphrams blades a lens had, smoother the bokeh was, i just did some reading on it and its false.

my bad !

Don't get me wrong, you can get good bokeh with that lens. Look at the Great Blue heron and the honey bee I posted. Those have good bokeh. The skydiver was about equidistant from me and from the background. I think that's why it came out so weird.

That being said, if you don't pay attention, you can get some really awful bokeh.

I'm no pro by any means but I am selling my 70-300mm Nikkor because I never use it and also the pics aren't "great". Of course it could be me taking the not so great pics too...

oh god you are right, i always though that more rounded diaphrams blades a lens had, smoother the bokeh was, i just did some reading on it and its false.

my bad !

I've had the same effect happen and it is butt ugly. It really only seems to happen when there us brush like matter in the back ground though.

Most reactions

Back