Trying to master waterfalls C&C

sarisotta_21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
H2OFall.jpg

Looks like you completely missed focus here... Or else there is camera shake. Did you use a tripod?

I couldn't use a tripod due to a huge wall I had to hang on to get this shot, I know there's camera shake just trying to master the smooth water look.

You absolutely need a tripod if you are doing any kind of long exposure.

As far as the way you want the water to look, that is entirely up to you. No one else can tell you how you want your picture to look.

I would guess that 1/10 of a second shutter speed is not quite slow enough to make the water really smooth in this case, because the water does not look like it was moving very fast.

Alright I'll try again, with a slower shutter speed....Thanks!

but.... you'll need a tripod lol

You need to invest on a few items if you are "trying to master waterfalls" shots. A sturdy tripod to eliminate camera shake and an ND filter for a longer exposure. Would recommend 6 or 10 stops ND so you can go at least 5 seconds exposure (at noontime) for a creamy and silky water effect.

Yes I have a tripod but not a good area to put it on, this is the only "waterfall" in my area so it's what I have to deal with right now..lol

wait till the sun is almost down and shoot again. the lighting looks too harsh, and yeah the camera shake problem needs to be taken care of.

ND filter is key here btw

You need to invest on a few items if you are "trying to master waterfalls" shots. A sturdy tripod to eliminate camera shake and an ND filter for a longer exposure. Would recommend 6 or 10 stops ND so you can go at least 5 seconds exposure (at noontime) for a creamy and silky water effect.

Got it ND filter reading up on them now, THANKS!

Also you may want to expose for the shadow area, the water and rocks not the grass on the side, which isn't the subject? You are up against a lighting problem because your subject should be in the main light, not the background and side objects. I know it's making things more complicated, but it would help? You can make a reflector out of a dashboard protector, thermal blanket, or some AL foil on a piece of cardboard, and use that as a fill light. (bring a friend) Or does the Sun shine on the rocks at a different time of day?

Good work with the ND filter that will allow you to have selective focus which should enhance the image.

This was shot mid day with an ND +6 filter. Not my best work but showes the efect of long exposure. ND filter, tripod, set timer, try to use manual focus it helps to have control over what the camera picks.

5497504502_3b3b881eae_z.jpg

This was shot mid day with an ND +6 filter. Not my best work but showes the efect of long exposure. ND filter, tripod, set timer, try to use manual focus it helps to have control over what the camera picks.

5497504502_3b3b881eae_z.jpg

ooooh, river of milk

Most reactions

Back