Trying to sell this picture

jimiismydaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was taking some pictures for a couple bands this past saturday at a club in Dallas. I shot this one and thought it would be perfect to try to sell to the club I was at. The name of the club is "The Door". I've never sold a picture before, how much would something like this, just an impromptu photo, sell for? And also, how is the technical aspect of the image? I cropped it, leveled and adjusted brightness in PS.

EDIT: The image was compressed to fit on here, so the quality is not great. This was shot with my Song 10 MP so it is really a good quality image I would give them.

Dsc01866e-copy.jpg

There's no photo, but that's a bit moot. You wouldn't be able to sell the image to the club without a signed release from the band. You own the copyright, but not the rights to their likeness.

Being that you cant tell who is in the photo... You may be able to sell it. Usually if you can tell who the person is in the photo by face or distinctive feature you would need a release... but in this image theres no head or defining feature... other than a random arm...
I would talk to the owner about the image... chances are he wont want to buy a single photo, But he may want someone to come in and shoot for him... so you may be able to turn it into a gig...
good luck.

I can see it now. I think I was having DNS issues last night.

Yeah, looks like no release needed for that one. You can give it a shot, but to be brutally honest, I don't think it stands out enough for them to want to buy it. I think there's a great shot waiting there, as I like the idea, but this one isn't quite there.

Overall, the image is quite dark and blury. That's fairly typical for an indoor band picture, but so much of this image is just dark with nothing of interest in that area. I can't come up with a good crop for it. I think a new shot with a different composition would be best. Something that puts the emphasis on the stamp on his hand and the guitar.

The tattoo is an identifiying mark! Whoever it is will know it's him...

not very good. good luck selling it.

The tattoo is an identifiying mark! Whoever it is will know it's him...

Tattoo?? if its a tattoo and not a stamp from coming into the club... this guy must own the bar... to get a tattoo thats the same name as the club hes playing in... bold...

That is, indeed, a stamp from the club.

I think for you to consider sellnig this image to The Door, more emphasis would have to be on the stamp on his hand. Right now it seems more like a shot of a guitarist who happens to have a stamp from the club and not so much the main focus of the photo.
Do you go there often? I drive over from Shreveport occasionally for shows. I like going there because they actually have enough lights for me to get decent shots, unlike the venues here. :lol:

Yeah, I just realized the last reply to this was two days ago. Better late than never?

Ahh yeah, the stamp of course...

hmm, I do not know much about club photography, but to me this image does not appear special. Also the "quality" appear mediocre (not talking about compression here ... and MP do not make quality anyway)

I agree, I don't think it's sellable just because of the blurriness. If you would do major PS work on it and turn it into, let's say some kind of vector art or something, it might work. But not as it is. Here's my attempt.

Dsc01866e-copy_filtered.jpg

Most reactions

Back