Trying to start up with ShutterStock

Fifty years ago stock photography was worthwhile (I was there). But with billions of photos being taken daily and half of the people pointing a camera want to make big bucks, it is ridiculous. Old myths die hard -- that Leica makes cameras in Germany (not much), that Grandma's 70 year old Exa camera is worth significant money, that Leica is the BEST CAMERA IN THE WORLD, that being a professional photography is easy -- my camera will do everything for me, that yet another (7 billionth this week) beach at sunset photo is anything at all but a space taker-upper, that bears are bad because they eat selfi-takers who walk up to them in the wild and turn their backs (free buffet for a bear), that bokeh is photography and the content of the photo is not the content just an annoyance (look at me I can make a cliched, cornball, trite. overdone wild background with my camera, it's never done before), that Barnack was a guy who saw the future perfectly (he just wanted in the beginning to make a small camera to test 35mm movie film) and his dumb double-the-movie-film-frame is not of gift from the heavens, presented with the usual Burning Bush ceremony. I could go on but you get the idea. Perhaps I am too cynical.

I could not have said it better myself. The camera companies keep advertising their wares to make you think it's easy to be good. If it's easy, and anyone can do it, it won't pay, so why bother?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back