two aperture dials?

lyriaz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My grandfather just sent me his nikon n4004s camera a few weeks ago, but there's something I still don't get.

There are 2 aperture dials, one on the lens and one on the body. I didn't know the dials even existed on bodies, but both are clearly labeled in the manuals.

I don't know how it works out. From what I can tell the one on the body does nothing, unless you have it set to automatic. Twisting the dial on the lens is the only thing that seems to change the light meter.

But still, it's confusing and I can't find an answer!

Anyone know what's up?

Put the lens on, turn the aperature dial all the way to f/22, now click that little switch on the lens (usually has an orange dot on it). This should in turn lock the aperature ring so you can't move it all. Now the aperature dial on the camera should work. It's Nikon's later model AI system.........

Thank you!

So if I don't lock the lens dial, it will work and the one on the body will not?

I think I would like using the one on the lens better, given the other doesn't interfere.

lyriaz said:
Thank you!

So if I don't lock the lens dial, it will work and the one on the body will not?

I think I would like using the one on the lens better, given the other doesn't interfere.
Nope, gotta lock the aperature ring for the meter to work at all, if I remember right. If you don't have it locked the meter -O+ symbols just blink and the camera does nothing. The little dial on the top is quicker anyway once you get used to it.

hmm.

when i twist the aperture dial on the lens, it does change the exposure symbols...

Weird....... My brother had a 4004 and his worked just like my 5005. The aperature dial on the body was the only way it worked. It works the other way I mentioned as well? You have a choice? If so that's cool.

Is it a zoom lens?

With most consumer zooms the aperture dial is only accurate at the widest focal length. Moving the ring changes the size of the aperture, but zooming only changes the focal length. As you zoom out the math changes, and the f/#s on the lens aperture dial are no longer accurate (they are greater than indicated). On a 28-70mm zoom it's f/4 if it says f/4 at 28mm, but at 70mm focal length the dial setting that says f/4 may actually be f/8, or more.

Most "pro" lenses alter the aperture size as the lens is zoomed in and out to keep the math the same, so when it's set on f/4 it stays on f/4, no matter what the focal length.

So they put an aperture dial on the body that can use the computer chip in the body to do the math, and set the lens to the indicated aperture on the body dial if it's on "A" (auto) on the lens. Canon completely dropped the lens aperture ring on their EOS cameras. Pentax and Nikon lenses will still fit on older bodies, so they have the ring, but it's useless for many ot their modern camera models.

okay, sounds like i should use the one on the body.

however, the dial on the lens has two marks on it: one indicating the aperture at 35mm and another indicating the size at 70mm.

but i think i'll just go with the one on the body and let the computer do it.

Thanks for the info!

lyriaz said:
however, the dial on the lens has two marks on it: one indicating the aperture at 35mm and another indicating the size at 70mm.

but i think i'll just go with the one on the body and let the computer do it.

Thanks for the info!

You've got a camera from the era when metal, mechanical, manual focus cameras were evolving into the cameras we see on the shelves today. They were sort of schizto.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back