ugh....how far do you guys go?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by red96ta, Oct 21, 2007.

1. red96ta

red96ta TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm staring at something like 700 photos of a wedding job and wonder how far you guys go in editing each picture? Teeth whitening each shot, cropping, selected photoshop filters, extra stuff?

The bride and groom look great in most of shots (after the first trip around the discard bin) but some of the other guests have such anomolies as dingy teeth....would you go in and fix every photo with bad teeth?

Cropping: This is essentially a 'direct to dvd' shoot with no album or prints, but do you drop them in, or set up an action to crop to say 8x10 or just dump to disc and go?

'Super Deluxe Extra Spectacular Shots': How many of 700 should get the extra deluxe treatment of adding diffusion, vignettes, and all the artsy stuff?

Please bear in mind that I'm a video guy that got wrangled into this job by my beloved wife....

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think that depends on what kind of money you will be making on this job. Also, I think you only have to go sooooo far on certain specific images and you should know wich ones need that kind of work.

3. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Shouldn't a lot of these questions have been answered prior to the wedding? Even if you shot 5 times that many, what are the couple expecting? Are you getting paid? What do you expect out of yourself, but more importantly, what do the couple expect from you?

4. red96ta

red96ta TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The couple know that I'm a video guy and I've never shot a wedding (although I've been doing about ten wedding vids a year for four year)....I made them go as far as signing a contract stating as much. Second, they were given a price of $500 which even in my depressed market is 1/3 of the nearest competition's lowest package.

So....having said that. I want to give them the best I can, but don't want to spend the rest of my life banging away in Photoshop for the rest of my life.

So far, I've looked through my shots and nailed one in particular....perhaps I should upload it to my site and link it up....

5. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    IMHO if they need work, it is incumbent on you to fix them. When you take money from somebody for a wedding, you should own the fact that they deserve your best effort.

There is a reason people are charging 3x as much as you did for this wedding. They EARN it.

6. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fix what needs fixing, I started with film and still shoot accordingly, unlike many here who think machine gunning a wedding is the way to go, I take a max of 300 shots, out of these I'll present around 250, its enough for any album and also enough for my prices to cover the PP involved. Quality not quantity. H

7. nossie

nossie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you offered to do a budget job so I'd hold back plenty and get on with my own life. I'd do obvious fixes so that you don't look terrible. However I would also create a "Touched up" folder with about 10 pics that you aced as an advertisement to what can be done if they want to pay you for more of your labour, but also to be fair I'd make those 10 shots important shots, rings, first kiss, etc.

8. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am going to base this call on the assumption you intend to continue with further photography endeavors of this nature so...If I am wrong in the assumption just disregard, as this is more basic business than anything else.

suck every last drop of experience you can out of the situation and run them all threw the ringer, by the time you get to around to the second or third hundred you will have found a large number of the cutable corners and have found out how to cut them effectively with out damaging the image or leaving telltale signs, these are called "tricks of the trade" and can only be learned threw experience. After the corrections have been done you or who ever can choose the best of them or the ones they want and go from there. You are charging a fraction of what the others around you are, so you have some room to learn here, use it to it's fullest. Practice makes perfect, perfect makes money. You stated that you had them sign a waiver stating that they knew in advance you technically had no photography experience of this nature, so mistakes won't kill you yet. Take the time to figure out how to save time now wile you can. Once you get it figured out you will be able to produce the same quality in a fraction of the time for future customers. Yes, the first few customers are going to drain you mentally and psychically and push your abilities to the breaking point, but when you get into any business your own happiness is no longer the primary, your customers come first. You will have to make sacrifices to make the customer happy, make the customer happy beyond their wildest dreams they will talk, happy customers bring new customers. This brings to mind an interesting twist on an old saying "talk is cheap", this will save you a fortune on advertising because technically you are not paying for it. You dump extra time and effort into sucking every last drop of experience you can out of the situation, it will pay off in the long run. Eventually you will be able to keep pace with the competition with quality, quantity and speed charging prices similar to theirs because your portfolio will look just as good.

9. WolfSpring

WolfSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    NM reread and mis interpreted.

10. I try to crop in the native format that I shoot, so I will crop 2x3. A lot of shots are effectively the same, just firing away three or four or five times to get the right smile or gesture. Batch process thoses. I will also do an overall curve adjustment.

11. red96ta

red96ta TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How about using liquify? Ever slim down a bride ever so slightly (but keeping it real)? And how about warts? Blemishes? Moles?

I'm about 2/3 of the way through an initial pass to bump levels and discard bad shots...so far so good.

12. Nah, that's hard work. I don't mean to be flip, but unless you set that expectation, what you're describing is substantial post-production work. That's not part of the shoot.