Crisp Eyes

mandabec

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you take a portrait with such crisp eyes. I have seen some amazing photos posted here that have beautiful eyes. Is this PP or great picture taking?

I've noticed this. Bluer than blue. Beautiful browns.

here is a true saying to live by, when taking photos aim for the eyes, pretty much focus on the eye, I know some people will then photoshop the eyes more to make them vibrant im guilty of doing that for some portraits.

yes, focus on the eyes for portraiture, what your'e really doing is focussing 1/3 of the way into a shot, this guarantees you will have the front 1/3 and 2/3 rear correctly focussed, its how your lens works, a basic principal of photography. H

What is it that you use in photoshop to make them more vibrant?

There are all kinds of tutorials online to sharpen eyes. My first step is to be sure the eyes are in focus. I select the focal point that best correlates to they eyes.

In post processing, I select just the iris and run USM a couple of times and as Flash Harry said, I boost the sat. I also dodge the whites and burn the lashes in.

Easy Quick tut:
Lasso around both eyes, copy them making it a new layer, go to adjustment hue/saturation make their natural eye color brighter but not to bright, select color dodge on the new layer, use the eraser tool to blend it nice, and if you want use dodge & burn tool as desired.

This video is a great example of what not to do! :lmao: The Photoshop job is taken way overboard, but those eyes do pop, don't they?

I also want to say thank you, mandabec, for asking this question, and thanks to those with experience who responded, I have often wondered the same thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back