Umbrella or softbox

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dataz722, Sep 21, 2009.

1. dataz722

dataz722 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am going to be putting in an order today and I don't know if I should get the Lumiquest SoftBox III or an umbrella? Which do you think would get more use? In the future I will get which ever one I don't get today but I just don't have the money for both right now.

2. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It really depends on what you are lighting.
    An umbrella will give you something that is light weight, versitile and can pack down quite small.
    A softbox will give you softer light, more options for light control and a higher quality of light but at a loss of power.

I would go with the soft box, but only if you are getting a large one, 30 or 40 Inch minimum

3. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The big difference:

Umbrellas are small & compact when collapsed and thus easy to carry

Softboxes are enclosed so that no stray light "rattles" around the room out of control thus you can control the lighting better with a softbox when working indoors in normal household size rooms.

Other differences involve whether the umbrella is silver or diffuse white, shape (square, hex, octagon) of either, and size.

4. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The softbox he's talking about is for a speedlite and it's only 8x9" I believe. The umbrella will probably give a more defused light than such a small softbox... if that's the type of light he's looking for.

5. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I was only going to use one, it would be a convertible umbrella so I could bounce or shoot through it to get the light soft and close to the subject. If you have neither, go with a convertible umbrella first then add a softbox later.

If you are unsure of what I am talking about, convertible umbrellas have a black outer lining that can be removed so you can shoot through the white interior material.

6. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    w/o reading other's reply... if you can, get both. Both will give you great portraiture results but both have limitations, unfortunately.