Under exposing a picture on purpose?!

nikki2291

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This isn't a really serious picture but I just found out that you can underexpose a picture on purpose!!! When I first took this picture (because i was playing around and decided to use a candle as my guinea pig) it was with perfect exposure (learning to read my AEB). Then I decided to fiddle around with the settings so I upped the shutter speed to 1/1000 AND upped the f/stop to 5.6 (change is good, i like breaking rules....lol). then i lowered the ISO to 100 instead of 1600. I made sure my flash was off and this is what i got...so cool. Looks like I took it in the dark when i didnt...Sorry...new discovery, had to share...lol.

~Nikki~

IMG_0468cb.jpg

It's exposed properly for what you wanted.

Nice experiment. And that's how you learn.

Take control away from your camera and make all the exposure decisions yourself and you'll have way more creative control over your images.

The green box AUTO mode is okay to start with but if you want to have complete control over each and every picture you take you have to go full manual.

Oh, your picture is underexposed...just kidding. Good job.

And if you want to try something different with your camera, check this out.

Last edited:
abraxas got in first - but yes the camera meter only gives you the correct exposure for the metering mode selected to give you an even exposure (that is all the parts - or at least as many as possible - being exposed correctly).
however there are many times when you want areas to be under or overexposed and that is when you start being creative with the camera. Maybe try car headlights on the road - using a longer shutter speed than you should to get the blur. The more you understand the more you start to see the settings for what they are - controls on aspects of the photo itself.

Thanks guys. I did check that website out and I have tried that before--freezing motion.
I did that once with water from the tap. I was playing around but it came out really cool. With the candle picture, I was impressed. I took the picture in broud daylight, but because I set the camera to do it, it came out like it was dark which was awesome. I noted the settings I had it on too, so that I can do it again, but this time with a more artistic view.

~Nikki~

yup...that's how it's done... i basically did the same thing with this one.

3194555597_2f5379f2b9_b.jpg

Underexposing pictures on purpose is a technique I learned about in a book called The Photography Bible. It's a great book and I would recommend anyone get it.

I will definitly look into that book, although I like figuring stuff out on my own, its fun...lol.
DexGtr that pic looks really cool. Although it needs to be straightened some...lol.

~Nikki~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back