"Under New Management" The chess shot you've all been waiting for!

clarinetJWD

The Naked Spammer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
jwdphotography.com
Well, I thought it was high time I tried my hand at a chess shot ;)
And here it is. There is virtually no manip.

UnderNewManagementforum.jpg

And it's not a vent, or a crow!

Whoa!!!!! Just awesome, and the lighting is fantastic.

Thank you all :)
This took me forever to shoot. Oh, and the lighting isn't expensive, just clever ;) I used the vent holes on the back of a cheap workbench spotlight for this :lol:

Ok, usually, when I see a post that I just don't understand what people are talking about, I just ignore it and go on, but I've got to ask... is this shot because of something that was done in the past? Or am I just missing something? Where you going for a shadow effect or trying to just light the one piece and leave everything else in shadow? Or is it just a generation thing and I wouldn't understand even if you told me? :D

Just wondering.

Mike

No, you're not really missing too much ;) It's just basically a set up with the conceptional meaning of revolution, or a change in power. There is no particular realson for me shooting this now, just trying some studio setups. The lighting is to emphasize the new king, and negate the overthrown one :)
And I really doubt it's anything generational ;)

To make a long story short, I was just trying to create a studio shot with an underlying meaning. I chose revolution only because I had an idea on how to do it.
Thanks for the comment ;)

Ah, I see (nodding head like I really do). :D I missed that those were kings, the white kings cross was in shadow. I think you did a good job of the sillouette. Rather than leave the vanquished kink in shadow, I would have put a spot light on it as well... maybe painted it with light from a flashlight... just enough so it could be seen in the shadows a bit more.

Glad to know I wasn't missing anything... I was about ready to pull my chess set out. :D

Thanks for the clarifacation.

Mike

Most reactions

Back