Understanding Art and artistic theory - help!!

Yes, I also suggest looking at others' work.

Look at Fine Art photographers and observe their work and see why they are called so. Look at the details in their work, look at critiques, etc.

This is my sister-in-law Christine Gornowicz just read the bull**** on her website, this is how they talk when they have been to Goldsmiths

I certainly wouldn't call it bull****. One of the things frequently missed in these types of conversations is that there needs to be a common language, when one speaks of this or that aesthetic, or compositional concepts, the speaker (or web page author) assumes that the person reading or hearing it has the same undertstanding of the vocabulary. When there's a divide in that knowledge, it's far easier to say bull**** than strive to understand the context and meaning. As a late life (47) art major, it's hard for me to sometimes not call bull****, but there are core compositional elements and principles that guide all artistic endeavors, and they do have merit.

The suggestion of taking a class or two has significant merit, and the OP should seriously consider it, it will help you change the way you see things.

So, Overread, how are your studies of art coming along?

Here are a few websites for you to add to the long list you have already:

Learn Composition

Photography Composition - What Could You Be Doing Better?

Photography Composition Articles Library

Composition Tips

If you need more, just Google "photographic composition" and you will have enough hits to keep you busy for a long, long time. The real key, though, and I am sure you realize this, is that when you feel that you understand a basic element or "rule" of composition, take your camera, go out and see if you can find a situation where you can deliberately practice it - shoot both portrait and landscape mode versions and see which one works and try and understand why certain things work, or don't work, in a given situation. My 0.02¢.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Last edited:
I've done a bunch or reading on Gestalt Theory, I found it interesting and helpful to my artistic thought process.

I'm a bit like you, Overread. I can read the books, look at all the diagrams, but I just don't "get it". I'm one of those people who learn better visually. So instead of books, I'm gonna give you other suggestions, that I hope can help.

I spend a lot of time looking at award winning photos, then trying to deconstruct them. Was it the light? The composition? The moment? The processing? Normally all of the above. I especially like to see all the PPA and WPPI returns, but my favorite source of photos are those Pulitzer Prize Winning ones, as I really like photojournalism.
I probably will never achieve shots like those, but I'm starting to understand why they work.

Another thing I do is go to the bookstore, and buy all those tabletop art books that I can find. Especially the masters. And not just masters of photography. My collection of painted art books are much more valuable to me. Again, I'll never be a grand master, but they totally inspire me, and help me understand.

Hope this helps!

So, Overread, how are your studies of art coming along?

Not nearly as far nor as deep as they should be - I must admit I've been rather not shooting much over the last half a year or so - gotten bogged down with stuffs and such and not been following through things that much. I have gotten a few books, though I've really got to sit down and read them not just skim through them/lightly - gotta really sit, read, practice and learn what they say not just think I know what they say.

edit - thanks bennielou - and yes I think art might be one of those things I can't easily pick up from a book at least to some degree. I have got a few good books, though a few of my interest areas (macro esp ,but also wildlife) can tend to ignore the artistic representation purely for the representation of the subject itself. So there is a little bit of dead space in there where there are "great photos" but they are great because they show something rather than because of the pure artistry behind them.
I might need to invest more time with landscapes (I keep meaning to but not doing so) as it is an interest area for me and one far more dominated by teh need for critical good composition (and light) and not just seeing something rare/elusive.

No problem Overread. You might be different, but I'm not technically inclined at all. When people start talking ratios and soforth, my eyes roll into the back of my head. But somehow, when I see it, it starts to makes sense.

No problem Overread. You might be different, but I'm not technically inclined at all. When people start talking ratios and soforth, my eyes roll into the back of my head. But somehow, when I see it, it starts to makes sense.

+1

Same here. I'm not a technical geek, not that there is anything wrong with it, I just am not. To each his own.

What has worked for me is decent technical knowledge coupled with, yes I'll say it. a very good artistic eye. And I'll say that too: it will beat a great technical photog with no artistic bone any day of the week. No one, and rightfully so, will pay you the big money for copying others no matter how much better you do it.

:confused:

I've recently been trying to learn more of the artistic side of photography as well as art in general and whilst I've come across a lot of terminology its quite clear that the artists are speaking a language that I can't understand.

So does anyone know any books or good references that go into some detail concerning compositional theories such as the Golden Section Rule, Golden Spirals as well as building into understanding concepts like shape, form, lines, etc....

Some of these I understand in very basic theory and others are a total area of confusion for me. Sadly most of what I find for photography is the good old "rule of thirds", but I would like to broaden my options and understanding.

go to a community college and take a painting class and a intro to art history class. painting will teach you lines, shapes, texture and composition. The art history will teach you to have a discerning eye. Plus both are fun. i used to paint. it helps. Play a stringed instrument too. The use of both limbs doing various tasks simultaneously will help you brain function in new ways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back