Upgrade advice please!

The D40 and D40x have focus systems that do not have as many AF squares as the D5500...I think you'll find that a D5500 has like, a decade newer AF system and a decade-newer level of focus capability!

Right.. So it's hard when my subject is on the left or right side and it only wants to focus in the center.. I've messed with the AF options but it tends to do what it wants
That's probably because you have the system in AFS-AUTO - AutoFocus Auto, in which you are allowing the camera to make all focusing point decisions. You can change that to control it better including AFS-Single which is a single focus point which you control exactly which point to use.

The D40 and D40x have focus systems that do not have as many AF squares as the D5500...I think you'll find that a D5500 has like, a decade newer AF system and a decade-newer level of focus capability!

Right.. So it's hard when my subject is on the left or right side and it only wants to focus in the center.. I've messed with the AF options but it tends to do what it wants

I shot a few thousand shots on my then-wife's D40...I know exactly what you mean, but in the more than a decade time span between the D40 series and the D5500, NIkon's autofocusing systems have become much,much better on the entry-level cameras. It's hard to fathom until you actually compare old against new: the D40 series had THREE AF squares...left,center,right, and each one was fairly big too!

The D5500 has 39 AF squares, and 9 are cross-type. The D5500 has touch screen, and tap-to-focus capability as well.

Nikon D5500 Review

Well dang... I didn't realize how old mine was lol.
I'll do some comparing between the 5500 and 7100. Also, where is a good place to buy/shop?

I'm a big advocate of buying used gear -- saves you a big chunk of change and allows you to buy more with your budget. I'd check into www.keh.com . I bought my camera and lens from them and I was very happy with the transaction -- my camera came with the box and all paperwork, and looked like it was in new condition, and I saved about $700 over a new one.

KEH.com is America's largest used camera dealer, as far as I know. And unlike 'other' mega-dealers, they SPECIALIZE in used equipment, and have one of the best most no-hassle return options I've ever heard of. My impression is that KEH.com understands the used camera market, the marketplace, and the users/buyers better than one could ever hope for. There are many buyers who buy the wrong stuff--like AF-D lenses for 3xxx and 5xxx bodies...and KEH takes the stuff back! Sometimes a lens is not up to snuff, despite being perfect externally...KEH takes it back...

I buy used gear too....the past few months I sold a $700 (used price I payed) Nikkor zoom for $750 after having used it since 2012...I sold a 105 I payed $550 for used in 2004 for $800 in March of 2016...I sold my 15 year-old 70-200 VR-1 for $1150 after paying 1695 for it brand new in the early 2000's...

Used gear is a good deal!

That's probably because you have the system in AFS-AUTO - AutoFocus Auto, in which you are allowing the camera to make all focusing point decisions. You can change that to control it better including AFS-Single which is a single focus point which you control exactly which point to use.

I messed around with the other modes.. It's honestly just a mix of focus lag/shutter sticking. If I'm shooting at a distance (20+feet) the focus is always off just a little. It's definitely time to upgrade and learn the new setup

You'll be moving from a Honda Minitrail 50cc to a Goldwing...make sure to wear your helmet cinched up good and tight. Not so much in the "bike" part--but the "engine" part...the new-era sensor is going to a-m-a-z-e you with its capabilities (plural).

I am definitely not opposed to buying used gear! Lol. I will check it out.. Thank you!

My progression has been D50 to D5000 to D7000. the D50 to D5000 upgrade wasn't that much, I got a good price selling the D50 and I got a good deal on a used D5000. A couple of years later, the step up to the D7000 was not so easily done, as I got creamed selling the D5000, only able to get a little over half what I'd hoped for.

I'm not sure the features of the D7100 are so much higher than the D5500 as my difference was, but two things that stand out immediately are:

1. D7100 has a focus motor in the body, which increases the usefulness with older AF lenses. Ya never know when a solid deal can be found on an AF-D type lens at a pawn shop or wherever, and those won't auto-focus on the D5500. The D40 (and D40x) are also missing that motor in the camera body, so you may not realize what you'd be missing.

2. D7100 can use its pop-up flash as a controller for multi-light setups with Nikon's CLS system. What that means is that with CLS flash units, the camera can trigger any number of off-camera flashes, and control their power settings in two different groups. Group A might be at half power while group B fires at 1/16th power, for example. All the settings are controlled from the camera's menu, and this CLS commander mode is not in the D5500.

Either camera will be as far above the D40 as the D40 was above a Kodak Instamatic. Well, nearly.....

I shot a few thousand shots on my then-wife's D40...I know exactly what you mean, but in the more than a decade time span between the D40 series and the D5500, NIkon's autofocusing systems have become much,much better on the entry-level cameras. It's hard to fathom until you actually compare old against new: the D40 series had THREE AF squares...left,center,right, and each one was fairly big too!

The D5500 has 39 AF squares, and 9 are cross-type. The D5500 has touch screen, and tap-to-focus capability as well.

Nikon D5500 Review

Well dang... I didn't realize how old mine was lol.
I'll do some comparing between the 5500 and 7100. Also, where is a good place to buy/shop?
Amazon
Free shipping in 1 or 2 days, no hassle returns, and guaranteed merchandise.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, I bought a slightly used D7100 on eBay for $500. Should be here Thursday so I can play with it before my friends engagement shoot Sunday. I can't wait to see how much better this beast is

Most reactions

New Topics

Back