Upgrade from D7000

Msteelio91

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.digitaldistrictphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not even sure if I want to go full frame. I've been mulling this over for a few weeks now and can't settle on a new body. My head hurts....HALP.

What I'd like, in order of importance:
-Higher MP/IQ (over the 16.2) for crops/clarity
-Better low-light ability
-Better LV performance (D7k has some serious issues in LV)

Price cap is $1,300 ish. Not afraid of used or refurb.

Edited for things I'd like to maintain:

-Dual control wheels
-Dual SD cards
-Nikon brand
-Size/weight of no concern
-Battery life!

Last edited:
Don't think your budget allows it. You can get more mp. Faster than 6fps no. Image quality is debatable. D7100 is probably better but not by much. Has more mp but not faster except in crop 1.3 having a laugh mode and its buffer fills fast. The d610 has a lot of what you want but not more than 6fps.

Don't think your budget allows it. You can get more mp. Faster than 6fps no. Image quality is debatable. D7100 is probably better but not by much. Has more mp but not faster except in crop 1.3 having a laugh mode and its buffer fills fast. The d610 has a lot of what you want but not more than 6fps.

Understood and editing out the increase in FPS. I can do without that.

At the end of the day this is just a hobby to me, and to me​ the most important part is IQ :)

^^^ what he said

You price cap is your limiting factor here for what you are looking for,

You have the same concerns I did
I did look at the d700 BUT you go under your mp requirements of 16mp .. which is the same problem I had but you get excellent fps with the added power from the grip.

Thus the only nikon camera body that fits in your requirements of $1300 is a d600.
Which I think the $$$ is more limiting than all the other things.

that aside, I upgraded from a d7000 to a d600
and haven't looked back. I love the FF dynamic range, low light ... it's just totally awesome.

Understood and editing out the increase in FPS. I can do without that.

At the end of the day this is just a hobby to me, and to me​ the most important part is IQ :)

It's a hobby for me too .... no d4s here

I also weighed the option of upgrading to a d7100. But the couple hundred more to the jump to the d600 was well worth the added $$ difference.

FYI I still have the d7000 and am using it more again. But the d600 is just so much more versatile for varying situations.

Just wait. The d610 is a lateral move with a ff sensor, the d7100 is barely an upgrade, and the d800 is way too many mp and really expensive. Currently, nikon sucks. There's no reasonable upgrade, ff or not, for D7000 users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wait. The d610 is a lateral move with a ff sensor, the d7100 is barely an upgrade, and the d800 is way too many mp and really expensive. Currently, nikon sucks. There's no reasonable upgrade, ff or not, for D7000 users.

He still has a low budget. Any new camera is going to be $2000 or higher.
going from crop to ff isn't a lateral move

with his criteria he only has ONE option
and waiting isn't going to make the d710 come out at a $1200 price tag.

He still has a low budget. Any new camera is going to be $2000 or higher.
going from crop to ff isn't a lateral move

with his criteria he only has ONE option
and waiting isn't going to make the d710 come out at a $1200 price tag.

I meant lateral as in you really don't get much other than a physically bigger sensor, a few more mp, and slightly better ISO performance. No it's like a d7000 with a fancier sensor. That's all.

And I agree that the d710 or d9300 or whatever they deliver will not be around 1200. That price point is covered by the d7100.

Last edited:
.. and to me​ the most important part is IQ :)

They're different animals.
If you do alot of cropping on a d7000 then you'll do alot more on the d600

I love the "up close" abilities of the d600 vs the d7000. Basically the take "two steps back" arguments .. for me .. its more and it was well worth it .. much different than what ppl say. And for further stuff I do have to crop but the photos still seem clear, etc.

I'd have to sit down and do a direct d7000 to d600 with the same subject and same lens. And even though I can easily do that I really don't care. The d600 beats the d7000 for me. Now, with my kids going to a bigger soccer field .. I might jump back to the d7000 for that ... might. I've thought of having 2 cameras with me .. haha .. nope, sticking to one.

from Nikon D600 vs D7000
Considering the fact that the sensor area of the Nikon D600 is more than twice larger and the pixel size is larger, the Nikon D600 will outperform the Nikon D7000 at pixel level. What this means is that if you look at images from both cameras at 100% view, the Nikon D600 will have less noise, especially at higher ISOs. Unfortunately for the D7000, it does not stop there. Since the Nikon D600 has more megapixels (24.3 MP vs 16.1 MP), the true advantage of the D600 sensor will be seen when images are down-sampled to 16.1 MP. You will not only see less noise at all ISOs, but images will also appear sharper as a result of the down-sampling process. If you do not know what the word “down-sampling” means, see my “benefits of a high resolution sensor” article, along with “how to properly downsample images in Lightroom” and “how to properly downsample images in Photoshop“.

Read more: Nikon D600 vs D7000

Using both, I haven't really compared it at all. I just know I like the d600 better all around.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but I have the D7100.

I want to go full frame.

I want a faster buffer, better ISO and a 36MP sensor.

I keep finding myself waiting on my camera, the buffer is slow. I don't crop my images, and the D7100 ISO is great. I just want something a little better?

I don't have a lot of money, and the only thing I could make myself afford would be a d600 or d610.

A d700 will be equal to a d7100. I wouldn't go the d700 route.

The move to one of those cameras doesn't seem worth it to me.

I wish Nikon had something between the d610-d810 that I could afford.

Are you using the fastest cards available - the sandisk 95/90 cards ?
That would help with the buffer flush ... and not keeping the button down *all* the time. I've learned to time better and take a few shots at a time .. a slight gap in the shooting.

I'm using a class 10 card.

I only take maybe 3 shots in succession when I am not in single shot mode.

Sometimes it takes 3-4 seconds until the hour glass goes away.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but I have the D7100.

I want to go full frame.

I want a faster buffer, better ISO and a 36MP sensor.

I keep finding myself waiting on my camera, the buffer is slow. I don't crop my images, and the D7100 ISO is great. I just want something a little better?

I don't have a lot of money, and the only thing I could make myself afford would be a d600 or d610.

A d700 will be equal to a d7100. I wouldn't go the d700 route.

The move to one of those cameras doesn't seem worth it to me.

I wish Nikon had something between the d610-d810 that I could afford.

Yeah these are my issues haha.

Thanks all for the input. I guess I'll be hovering with the D7k for a while until I can either make a bigger jump or Nikon offers something better. Unless I come across a really good deal or manage to sell my D7k for a fruitful amount :)

I'm waiting for the flood of D800's to hit evilbay as owners upgrade to the 810 :D

Most reactions

Back