Upgrade to D7200 or FX Body?

Yeah, looks like to me that the lenses you use most often are all FX lenses...just comes down to what you shoot and what features you need. I'd probably get whichever FX body I could afford, and then sell off the DX lenses to fill the gap in the wider focal lengths of the lenses you listed above...maybe one of the fast 20mm primes.

Thanks again for all of the comments and insights on this. Darrel--I especially appreciate it when you share your insights on gear since you've had to sell all of this stuff. Some information (FWIW)...the lens that I tend to use the most/a default lens is a Nikkor 24-85mm f2.8, the lens I probably use the next most (if that's a phrase) is a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 (I like playing a lot with DoF), I use an 85mm f1.8G for a lot of portrait sessions, and other than a lens baby (I didn't count that in my lens count in the initial post), the one non-Nikkor lens that gets usage is a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8.
I have the 24-85/2.8-4.0 lens too. It's an FX lens. I was the first lens after the kit I got when I had my D7000. I love the range as it fills in up to the 85mm prime. But I tended to use the 18-105 kit more for the 18mm on DX. On FX the 24-85 really fits in nicely (my avatar is from the 24-85 in macro mode).

I also have the 50/1.4 G, and a 85/1.8 AF-D. Really, these lenses are awesome on the FX platform for their price. I added a 18-35 FX AF-D for UWA on the D600/D750; after that lens I rarely used my D7000, and sold it off.

So you have FX lenses of 24-85/2.8-4; 50/1.4, 85G, 70-2000/2.8 which are all FX lenses.

The only thing you are missing is on the UWA side, 17/18-35 and you'll be all set.

I agree with the others, seems like your top five lenses are all FX models. While I like the D500, the addition of something like the D610 will really make much better use of that 24-85mm and your 85mm will be an even better lens for portrait on FX. I would then sell all DX only lenses and one of the two D7000 bodies and pick up one more FX lens.

Ok, so questions to ask yourself...

Do you really feel like you need better lowlight performance? Do you find that in a lot of your shooting situations your missing shots because your ISO is going too high?

Do you find in a lot of shooting situations you want more background separation or a wider FOV?

If so then an FX camera might be a good thing to consider. If not and your happy with APS-C, then APS-C might be a better option.

Both the D7100 and D7200 are great cameras, and a pretty significant upgrade from the D7000.

In full frame the D600 is an incredible value, one that I highly recommend. Unless you really need the flippy screen of the D750 or the higher resolution of the D800/D810 the D600 is very hard to beat as far as bang for your buck.

The other thing to consider is that you might want to go for the best of both worlds, sell one of your D7000's and keep the other for now. Get a D600 or maybe a D610 depending on your budget. Then you have both an APS-C camera on hand as well as full frame so your covered for just about any shooting situation you can imagine.

The original post sounded to me like you had all DX glass, but since you have FX lenses your options are really great.Get one of each. :1247:

I can only say: Consider the D500. IQ-wise she is better that many FX-bodies & I get usable shots at 20.000 ISO which is much more than I can say about my D3 and even the D600 lags behind. Fifth Generation means: incredible AF and incredible WB, never seen in the fourth generation.

I had DX for a long time but from the beginning never bought ONE DX-lens, because I knew I want to upgrade to FX some day. I was used to the format because I wans an intense user of film from 1983 till 2004.

Thanks again for all of the comments and insights on this. Darrel--I especially appreciate it when you share your insights on gear since you've had to sell all of this stuff. Some information (FWIW)...the lens that I tend to use the most/a default lens is a Nikkor 24-85mm f2.8, the lens I probably use the next most (if that's a phrase) is a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 (I like playing a lot with DoF), I use an 85mm f1.8G for a lot of portrait sessions, and other than a lens baby (I didn't count that in my lens count in the initial post), the one non-Nikkor lens that gets usage is a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8.

All these lenses are FX, the 1.8/85G is a VERY good lens in many respects, the 24-85 has some sample variation, the sample I once used on my D70 was really bad.

Which 1.4/50 ? Ai, Ai-S, AF, Af-D, AF-S???

Lots of great pieces of advice here. I went to visit my favorite bricks and mortar camera store and put my hands on a D500. Saying it has fast autofocus does not do it justice. I believe what you said Darrel (not that I doubt you, only saying...I was very impressed). But given that I've really got some FX glass in a couple of key areas, it's tempting to look at the D600 (in part b/c I could get that now or at least by Christmas while the D500 would probably be 6-9 months away for me). I see keeping one of the D7000 bodies (and giving the other to my son who has a good eye). I'd use the DX glass for that body. And Derrel, your point about the similarity in feel between the D7000 and D600 is a very persuasive point to me--I can see being at an event with two bodies and it's good to be able to shoot without having to think on ergonomics. I do have one question about the D600...I've heard stories about an internal oil splatter that gets on the sensor and led to a lot of returns. Does anyone know if that problem has persisted?

I do have one question about the D600...I've heard stories about an internal oil splatter that gets on the sensor and led to a lot of returns. Does anyone know if that problem has persisted?

Yes, it does. I bought mine used from KEH for around 700 dollars...I think there was a sale on. I had splatter issues, and I sent it to Nikon and they replaced the shutter mechanism and it was returned to me within 10 days.

If it happens again, you can call them and push for a replacement with a D610. Several members here have done so successfully.

The funny part for me is that it took me a little while to notice...most of the photography I do is with my daughter and in low-light situations. It wasn't noticeable until like above F5.6, which I don't as often as others might.

The oil splatter problem was probably a bit overblown on the internet to be honest, but it was enough that Nikon decided it would replace the shutter mechanism in any D600's that had the issue for free.

My own D600 had such a shutter replacement before I purchased it, it's never given me any problems since. So if you purchase a D600 that hasn't had the shutter replaced and the issue arises, you can send it to Nikon and they'll repair it for free.

If the problem persists after the repair they can and sometimes do replace it with a D610. As for me the 600 has worked flawlessly since the day I got it, and as previously mentioned it's pretty much exactly like the D7100 I was shooting prior to replacing it so almost no learning curve, which was nice.

The left buttons are in a different order for a D7000 to a D600.
A d7100 I think has the same button layout.
But they're Nikon prosumer dslrs so they are all very similar in layout, size, shape and weight.

My refurb'd dslr had oil splatter issues and they replaced the shutter. I never saw a problem after that for me after 5,000 more activations.

Last edited:
I use the D500 and D600 in parallel.

The D600 can be had for 800 US$ including grip in Ebay. The D500 is 1800 US$ at B&H and they throw in a fast 64GB card from Sandisk on top. The D600 is a very nice camera. The D500 is a hell of a professional tool.

Damnit to hell you folks--you are not making my decision on this any easier. I now want to get both the D500 and the D600. I've got to find a way to afford both. Hmm....I wonder if I really need a car...how much could I get for it?

Damnit to hell you folks--you are not making my decision on this any easier. I now want to get both the D500 and the D600. I've got to find a way to afford both. Hmm....I wonder if I really need a car...how much could I get for it?

The D500 is pretty much top of the line in APS-C. I guess the question is does the better AF performance and higher frame rate really justify the extra cost when compared with the D600? Really only a question you yourself can answer based on what you shoot.

So yup, it really comes down to what you shoot and what you think is reasonable based on your budget. Not really a "bad" option here. Can't really go wrong either way.

That being said, if it were me.. I'd go with the D600. Keep one of the 7000's for now as a backup. Then wait for a while and see what else hits the market. The D500 is top of the line right now so you'll pay top of the line prices for it. But in a year or two the prices will come down, even more so after a replacement is announced.

For me that's when I start looking at upgrading to that sort of camera. But hey, I'm cheap. Er.. thrifty. Ya, I meant to say thrifty there.. lol

I sold my P7800
then I sold my D600 w/grip
in order to buy a D500 .... but I'm having issues spending that much on a camera
since I also bought a D750 only a few months ago.

so i'm looking at a D5500 which has touchscreen and the 39pt focus system from the D7000. But it's primary purpose is astro stuff and some long distance photography of which a 1.5x crop would /should /maybe help. But I need the flippy screen so it's d5500 or d500.

yeah ... too much confusing conflicts ...

who needs a car ?

Most reactions

Back