Upgrading from 60D to D800E

Osbornezo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

So i was going to get a canon 6d with 24-105mm, however i have been offered by a friend a d800e with 24-120 for the same price and only 8000 clicks. I'm wanting to upgrade mainly for low light performance plus ability to print larger and do some part time assistant work at graduations etc

I don't see any reason why i shouldn't. I don't have big money invested in canon lenses or anything either.

Thoughts?

The D800e is a fantastic camera. If you're planning to shoot RAW start investing in some serious storage space as the files are HUGE!!

Even in JPEG format, at 36MP space is going to fill up much quicker than you're probably used to.

Also be prepared to invest some serious money in to lenses. There are fewer lenses that work well with the D800/D800e as the resolution is so high that it will really highlight the shortcomings of a lens

Yeah, the D8x0 series is amazing. I absolutely love my D800. Jump on it!

Jake

LOL, going from the 60D to the 800F is like going from a Corolla to a Mercedes S class.

Dont think twice the 800E is still one of the best cameras you can buy!!! definitly much better then the 6D

I would jump on it, if I were you. Seems like a no brainer really, even when only considering the AF system.

Comparing straight camera to camera yes it's a no brainer. However, don't ignore what a couple of people have mentioned, cost of lenses to match or maximize the greatness of the d800e, and the cost of extra storage depending on your shooting habits. The short term and long term costs may be quite different than the same price you mention in the op.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses, think i will go for it. Just hoping it will last a few years as this size investment i want to last 3+ years

Thanks for all the responses, think i will go for it. Just hoping it will last a few years as this size investment i want to last 3+ years

No doubt in 3 years it will be just as great as it is now. There will probably be something better, but that does NOT mean what you have now will get worse.

Found out its the 2nd edition 24-120 f3.5 - 5.6 not a f4 so i'm unsure whether it is still worth it

Just sell the lens and swipe the cam.

If not i'll be happy to jump on that deal

Found out its the 2nd edition 24-120 f3.5 - 5.6 not a f4 so i'm unsure whether it is still worth it
I think you really don't understand what a powerful tool the D800E is.
Who cares about the damn lens, 8K clicks on the camera means its practically brand new and it is still one of the best cameras in the market!!!
The asking price sounds very good, I wouldn't walk to get the camera I would run as fast as possible to get it, it is far superior to the 6D you wanted to get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back