upset with myself

ryan7783

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took a bunch of photos for an engaged couple as an informal engagement style session. I told them NOT to pay me unless they felt it was worth it and I even drove them around for 2 hours taking photos at different locations around town. I took 311 photos and most of them came out looking like crap. I got maybe 6 decent photos and I'm not even happy with those.

The only thing they lost was a couple hours of their time. I even warned them that I had never done anything like this before and that I would suggest they go to SEARS and have them do their photos if they wanted to be sure to get some decent ones. They assured me that whatever I did would be fine - I didn't expect miracles from myself but damn...I also didn't expect for every photo to be crap. As of right now, they haven't responded with any comments about them - I took them all yesterday so they probably haven't seen them yet.

Some examples of the ones I picked out to process.
I shot these with a Nikon D300 and most of these were shot with an 18-55mm 3.5 VR lens that I got with my other camera

KS9.jpg

KS8.jpg

KS5.jpg

KS7.jpg

KS1.jpg

6. I actually like this one but I know it's waaaaay too dark for them.
KS3.jpg

KS11.jpg

KS4.jpg

So as you can see, they came out not so great. I've been racking my brain over these horrible photos all day and all last night. I actually lost sleep over these. I think I'm going to stick with models instead of customers - I'm always too hard on myself when I don't do well at something like this. It's too stressful.

They dont look bad at all. i mean its freework and I'd still be happy with them. I like the ones in front of the yellow wall best.

One problem is the bright yellow wall- it effects the overall color of the shot and especally the skin tones. It is just overwelming and gives the subjects an orange tint like thay ate too many carrots. Try these in BW and see what happens, Also the firts one needs to have wall cropped out. Four would be good if both were in focus. Five is good but needs more light on her face. A fill flash or reflector would help. Six is good but too far away- and dark you can not make out the two faces. Seven is good. Eight needs to thighten up
Judge Sharpe

Don't beat yourself up, its all practice. 5 and 7 are the best. You would have had better images if you shot "candid" and not had them smile for the camera. The key is to get in close and watch for the eye contact, the touch of a hand, the faint smile, the wisper.

Don't try so hard next time, let the couple be natural around you...and let them pic the sites they want to see or be seen at.;)

And never shoot on a yellow wall...it'll make the subject look sick:meh:

Heck i think you did a great job! Very creative composition and they look very comfortable and their attire is so unique, really speaks volumes about their personalities!What mode did you shoot in? It looks like you added a TON of contrast/saturation which makes their skin tones go all wonky and all the shadow detail is almost lost. Can you post an image SOOC? Really I think you just need to refine your PP.

I agree with the others. I think you did a fine job, most what I see wrong is minor stuff.

The Yellow wall acts like a great big yellow reflector. Of course her being out of focus in #4.

Oh, don't beat yourself up too hard....
they are actually really great! and it looks like this couple is pretty chill (I could be wrong... but that's what i get from them)
Especially because they didn't pay you, you have nothing to be worried about... and I think even if they would have payed you you'd be just fine.
Possibly with a little tweaking, these could be even better!!

thanks everyone. and that yellow wall is actually this color and it was a cloudy day
KS13.jpg

I used LightRoom to make the wall so yellow. I like the vibrance of it but I think I may need to compromise on it this time.

What you are needing to learn is masks. That way you can completely pop the colours of the wall (which look great in your post) and moderate the change on the couple. She looks like she has gotten a good dose of radiation from these. Later tonight if you give me permission I would happy to edit it and email it to you to give you an idea of what I am thinking of

I know exactly what you mean by masks and I've been trying to learn exactly how to use them by reading tutorials and such but I learn much better when someone stands over my shoulder and shows me how to do something. You can alter the photos anyway you would like.

I like the ones with the yellow wall. What you could do to avoid getting the skin tones messed up(in photoshop, sorry I dont know Lightroom at all): Duplicate the layer and make the whole picture as yellow as you'd like. Then, click on the eraser tool and erase the parts where you would see the skin tones and clothes if you dont want them to have a yellow cast as well.

As others have said, for a first go, you did well. Sometimes these things take time to fall into place.

I offered them the chance to take me to any place they wanted. I asked if there was somewhere special they wanted to go or some particular pose they wanted to try. I really gave them free reign over how they wanted things to look but they really left it all up to me - which is to be expected but I was a little disappointed that they didn't want any sort of personal touch.

after it was all said and done, Kara emailed me and told me she really really likes the photos and thanked me so very much. Now I need to put the 9 good ones on a CD and mail them to her. Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.

5 and 8 are my favorites. I feel that there is a lack of intimacy though, they could just be two friends hanging out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back