URGENT HELP PLEASE! (24 hours left to upgrade to the 5D3)

Dao - I'm in the "going full frame at some point" camp, where (to me) buying crop frame lenses means I'd be throwing money away.

I have in my hands the 5D III. The EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM lens arrives tomorrow. Now I have to learn photography. :) lol... Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

In my defense, I never really saw the value in any glass that was crop frame specific.
I only use Nikon DX lenses(*) because when I bought the D5100, I didnt wanted to be set in my choice of Nikon just yet.

And sure enough Fuji is making some very tempting offers recently. With the new X100s, they even introduced Phase AF on their sensor. Maybe soon I can have a camera that is half as heavy, with excellent optics, and still can manage action and sports well enough - well as long as there is enough light.

Also, the Nikon DX stuff is cheaper(**), smaller, more lightweight and not that bad, optically.

Also, I was new to DSLRs and didnt knew exactly what I really wanted, yet. :D

(*) If any reader doesnt know: Nikon DX ~ Canon EF-S, except Canon is 1.6 crop and Nikon is 1.5 crop.
(**) Except for the 50mm f1.8, which curiously is even a bit cheaper than the 35mm f1.8 DX.

Dao - I'm in the "going full frame at some point" camp, where (to me) buying crop frame lenses means I'd be throwing money away.
You can always just sell your old lenses.

Also, with full frame you need new lenses anyway, since the old ones mean entirely different things now.

You can always just sell your old lenses.

Also, with full frame you need new lenses anyway, since the old ones mean entirely different things now.

I am with you Solarflare, I bought the Tamron 17-50mm few years ago used for $300. It is a great lens and I enjoy it everytime I have that lens mounted on my camera. I am pretty sure if I get a full frame body, I will keep a crop body as a spare or when I need to use my telephoto lens at the zoo or something similar. So I can still enjoy that lens.

But even if I do not want it, I am sure I can sell it for $300 very quick now based on it's condition. I do not think I will throw away my money. In fact, I sold 6 lenses and all of them sold more than what I bought them for. You just need to know how the game work. Thanks to good quality glass and/or lenses price are keep going up.

I have in my hands the 5D III. The EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM lens arrives tomorrow. Now I have to learn photography. :) lol... Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

Oh WOW! You did have a bit of spending money.

I have the 5D III and the 14mm f/2.8 lens and I can tell you they're both amazing. The 14mm is QUITE wide (remember this is a full-frame camera so that's like using an 8.75mm on a crop-body). Normally that'd be in the territory of fish-eye except the Canon 14mm is a rectilinear wide angle lens -- it's is quite impressive (and frankly I still don't think I've learn to exploit it as well I should.)

I didn't get to chime in earlier but I think you'll be quite happy with the 5D III. The 5D II was also a great camera except it had the same focusing system as the Rebel bodies -- kinda basic and for action photography the 7D was a better camera. But now the 5D III basically uses the focus system from the 1D X which is considerably better than the 7D. This means the 5D III is great for both action and stills.

I'm still getting used to the focus system and, while I learn, I have all the modes on. But I am finding that I use some modes a lot more than others, so I'm likely to disable a few of the modes (you can "hide" them so that when you want to hop from mode to mode quickly you don't have to go through every mode along the way.)

Make sure you watch Canon's series of 5D III tutorials: Canon EOS 5D Mark III: On-Camera Tutorials - YouTube

They don't cover every feature... they mostly JUST cover the features that are new or unique to that body.

Hi Tim - Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. ;) I just now finished my first hands on with the camera and the new 14mm lens. My first time looking through the view finder I was floored. Sooo wide, so much coverage. Keeping both eyes open just seems so natural with a full frame, I can't explain it, but with the t3i I was having a hard time adjusting to both eyes open, with this camera it's very relaxing and seems natural. Tomorrow I'm doing my first landscape shots, probably won't mess with any system settings except for putting the camera in raw. Will play with aperture priority and use similar settings as I was before and see where it leads me. Thanks for the links, will 100% check those out!

You are very wise! :)

I wouldn't necessarily look at the 5d mark III. The Mark 2 or Classic (Mark 1) would do just fine.

Good Luck

Maybe the 5D2,but the classic way too old technology.....

Most reactions

Back