Urgent Question - Zoom/Prime lens for Canon 600D !

MoonPone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Heyo folks!
- Pretty urgent question. Even if yuo're reading this like 24 hours after it's posted, i'd still love suggestions.
I'm going to a concert in England soon with a press pass (Sweeeet!), but i need a zoom/prime lens for my 600D. Now, i do have my 17-55 USM lens, but 55mm just isn't enough focal range.
Alas, i'd love for some of you to suggest some zoom lenses that go to at the very least 100~135mm. Max focal range doesn't really matter, and i don't care if it's a prime or a zoom (I do prefer zoom, but primes are cheaper, duh).

I Have a max budget of $500.

I've been looking at the (i know that 70-300mm's and alike are usually terrible, but hold on!) Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD. People online are really getting blown away by it, especially with it's IQ and VC, and it's below 500 USD; if anyone have experiences with this lense, feel ever so free to share your knowledge!

Anyways, a prime or zoom with a min. focal range of ~135mm under the price of $500, be it Tamron, Canon or even Sigma.

Thanks in advance!

Fast + cheap + zoom is a tall order -- I'm sure it won't take long to figure this out if it hasn't already dawned on you. I picked up my 100mm f/2.8 macro lens for a little over $400, IIRC, and it's a great all-around lens in addition to being a wonderful macro lens. If you're really lucky, you might be able to lay your hands on a used 70-200 f/4 lens in that price range, but for concert photography, you'd really like to have something faster than that if you could -- the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II would be perfect. Have you considered renting a lens for the concert?

Good luck with your search.

Don't know the current price, and don't know what it would cost where you are. With a 550D, I use a Sigma 18-250. It's on that body most of the time because it is so versatile.

Renting a 70-200 f/2.8 would be a good option too.

The problem with the 70-300 is going to be the aperture, it doesnt open very wide or let in much light, so youll end up pushing your iso way up because concert lighting usually is pretty dim for photographic purposes.

As others have mentioned you really want faster glass like f2.8, but fast and telephoto gets real expensive real quick.

Renting looks like the best option.

The problem with the 70-300 is going to be the aperture, it doesnt open very wide or let in much light, so youll end up pushing your iso way up because concert lighting usually is pretty dim for photographic purposes.

As others have mentioned you really want faster glass like f2.8, but fast and telephoto gets real expensive real quick.

I see. Though, do you have a recommendation as for primes in the 100mm+ range? I've been looking at the Canon 100mm f/2 USM.
The only reason i'm not buying it right away is because of the lack of IS.

Also, i've been looking at the Canon 28-135 IS USM. Problem with this one is that there's some wobbliness on the end of the othetwise sturdy lens. Does anyone have this problem with their lenses, and if so, is it a problem/dealbreaker for you?

As for renting, i sorta need a good prime/zoom above 100mm, so i might as well go for it now whilst i actually have money in my pockets.

All recommendations are welcome!

I see. Though, do you have a recommendation as for primes in the 100mm+ range? I've been looking at the Canon 100mm f/2 USM.
The only reason i'm not buying it right away is because of the lack of IS.

Also, i've been looking at the Canon 28-135 IS USM. Problem with this one is that there's some wobbliness on the end of the othetwise sturdy lens. Does anyone have this problem with their lenses, and if so, is it a problem/dealbreaker for you?

As for renting, i sorta need a good prime/zoom above 100mm, so i might as well go for it now whilst i actually have money in my pockets.

All recommendations are welcome!

If I were a Canon shooter, I'd own the 135mm f2L. Don't know the price, but that's THE prime I'd want.

Renting looks like the best option.

I totally agree. Your asking a lot but the money won't cover it without sacrificing quality. I would rent a 70-200 2.8 mark II. With a 1.6 crop you will get a good reach and that is a stellar lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back