US vs IMP Lens... is there REALLY a difference?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Online camera shops often have a US and an IMPORTED version of the same lens (Canon 17-85 IS for example). There is usually a $20-40 price difference between the two. Of course, the US version is always more.

What's the difference????? Is the US version better quality? Anybody with experience? Opinions?

On the Canon lens, both have a 1-year warranty... so so far it sounds like I should save my money... Any other ideas?

Wowwwww... I would have never figured that. Thanks!

I bought an import lens from B&H recently. The only difference is "where" the lens is warranted during the warranty period. According to them, they (B&H) will warranty their import lenses; not Canon for the original 1 year from purchase. In the US this is no matter since one can simply send a lens in for repair to B&H in NY. Outside the US though, depending on where, shipping will become an issue. After the warranty expires, you will have to go to Canon for further service. Incidently, both imports and US models are identical in make, features, materials, etc.

I bought an import lens from B&H recently. The only difference is "where" the lens is warranted during the warranty period. According to them, they (B&H) will warranty their import lenses; not Canon for the original 1 year from purchase.

As everyone said.. warranty is the difference. In regards to the above statement, I don't believe B&H actually writes up the warranty themselves. They write up the warranty through Mack Camera in New Jersey:

http://www.mackcam.com/warranty.html

A search on the internet brings up mixed experiences dealing with Mack.

Most reactions

Back