Used body vs. new lens?

xsouthpawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm considering adding to my photography arsenal sometime this summer. And I was thinking of either buying a telephoto zoom lens (Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS) or a used body, something like a 40d. I currently use a 10d w/ 28-105mm and a 50mm f/1.4 prime.

I've read a lot that it's better to invest in glass, but I'm kind of unsatisfied with the iso and the small screen in the back. So.. any advice? :mrgreen:

Normally, glass is more important than the camera body but the 10D is pretty dated (my second camera body). If you get yourself into a camera body within the last 5 years, you'll be better off. The camera itself has been playing more of a role in final image output ever since digital.

I agree with USAYIT, I would upgrade my body and the 40D would be a great path given current prices. They are some real deals to be had out there on them.

I agree to an extent but you cannot beat the investment in good glass. The differances in IQ can be astounding even on older cameras like the 10D, which I still use frequently. Go for L glass if you are a Canon user and save for a higher end body...JMO ;)

Many would not consider the 70-300 the OP is considering to be "good glass", making the upgrade to the 40D more beneficial.

Many would not consider the 70-300 the OP is considering to be "good glass", making the upgrade to the 40D more beneficial.

Would agree there with regard to this particular lens which has a poor rep. But I stand by my general comments about investing in GOOD glass...;);)

Agreed, if those are the choices I would probably go with the body, simply because the glass you mentioned is not that great.

One thing to look into though, is last I heard Canon had an upgrade deal where you can trade in your old camera (the 10D for example) and get a 50D for about 629 or with a 28-135 for 759. I'm not sure if it works if your camera still works, but it's something to look into.

Agreed, if those are the choices I would probably go with the body, simply because the glass you mentioned is not that great.

One thing to look into though, is last I heard Canon had an upgrade deal where you can trade in your old camera (the 10D for example) and get a 50D for about 629 or with a 28-135 for 759. I'm not sure if it works if your camera still works, but it's something to look into.

Sounds good but I like my 10D not that I use it very much since I moved to the 1D series, but its still a ''good'' camera. :thumbup:

What do you want to do, specifically? That is the question we need answered before we can really help you decide. If you want to shoot sports, a new body will not help you much at all.

Unless your camera has a full frame sensor, (I don't keep up) the 70-300 is the wrong choice for an all-around telephoto zoom. Go for something in the 55-200 range if you have a crop sensor.

Depending on where exactly you want to improve your photography, you may be better served by something else, for instance a good tripod, a bounce flash, or spending the money on travel instead.

Thank you for all the replies! But I was thinking more of the lines of sports for the telephoto.. However, I'm on somewhat of a budget. (something around $600) Would the 70-200mm f/4 L lens be better? (Definitely can't afford the IS version)

Unless your camera has a full frame sensor, (I don't keep up) the 70-300 is the wrong choice for an all-around telephoto zoom. Go for something in the 55-200 range if you have a crop sensor.

The problem with my 10d is that it doesn't support Cannon's EF-S line.. apparently it's the only xxD that doesn't. =\

I'll definitely look into that. But I'll have to ask my uncle about it too. (It's actually his camera, I'm just "borrowing" it because he doesn't need it. Sounds like a really great deal though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back