Used quality ratings on Adorama - V condition?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have any experience buying a lens rated V from Adorama? I've purchased a few used lenses from them and been very happy but I haven't bought anything below condition E. I'm only concerned about image quality and don't really care about external condition if function is not affected. I know I can return no questions asked but that is a bit of a pain in the neck with shipping and then tracking the receipt and the credit so I'm hoping to hear about some positive or negative experiences before I buy...

Here is their rating descriptions

Condition Cameras & Photo Gear Lenses
N
Product is brand new and was never used. Includes full manufacturer's warranty. Product is brand new and was never used. Includes full manufacturer's warranty.
D Little or no signs of wear. Little or no signs of wear.
E+ May have slight wear but only visible under close inspection. Barrel may have slight wear but only visible under close inspection. Lens glass is flawless.*
E May show signs of light wear and/or usage. LCD may have very slight blemishes. Barrel may show signs of light wear and/or usage. Lens glass is very clean.*
E- Shows signs of moderate wear and/or usage. LCD may be scratched. Barrel shows signs of wear and/or moderate usage. Lens glass may have some dust / spots that should not affect picture quality.
V Appears well used and may include dings, scrapes/scratches, heavy brassing on body or LCD, but is in fully functional condition. Barrel appears well used and may include dings, scrapes/scratches, heavy brassing. Lens glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality.
G Appears to have been used heavily, showing multiple dings, scrapes/scratches, cracks and heavy brassing but functions correctly. Barrel appears to have been used heavily, showing multiple dings, scrapes/scratches, heavy brassing. Lens glass may have fungus, excessive dust, and/or scratches that can affect picture quality

Bumping to see if anyone has any input on this question.

Never bought used from Adorama, but I guess worst case scenario you could always try it and if the thing is just too beat up return it.

"...Lens glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality." That is the clause that kills! V rating is acceptable imo ONLY if you are buying some old oddity or such and you have no choice, or budget for other. If you want ot actually hold a 'V' lens go around to your local pawn shops and camera stores.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back