Advice on first camera

Chase87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi. I'm planning to buy a first camera, and I want to ask for recommendations based on my needs. I have absolutely no clue about brands or models.

- My goal is to pick up photography as a hobby and LEARN about it. (I suppose in order to learn the full scope of photography I will need a DSLR with a proper lens, a compact camera will take too much of the work off me)
- I actually don't care *so* much about image quality, as long as I learn the ropes and will be able to shoot nice pictures with a better camera later
- I want something that I can travel with, so the camera should be resilient and not too bulky
- I don't plan on shooting a lot of indoor shots
- I would like to also take decent video
My budget is 200-500€

You don't need a DSLR for learning. Mirrorless or bridge camera's are also good, as they have all de necessary settings.
The Nikon D3200 is a cheap DSLR, that's good for it's price.
If you want more zoom. De Panasonic FZ300/FZ330 is a good bridge. I's fast, has a good zoomlens and can film in 4K.
It's also water- and dust resistant, witch is a plus when you travel.
Rudi

Last edited:
You don't need a DSLR. there's nothing wrong with starting with a P&S.
If you can afford it, try the Sony RX100Mk1 or a Lumix GF7 or an Olympus OMD EM10 to start

In your price range I would recommend Nikon D3300 with its kit lens 18-55mm which is good for general use.
To that if you can afford it then add Nikon 50mm 1.8G which is a very reasonably priced lens or Nikon 35mm 1.8G
Both about same price.
These lenses will help you in lower light situation and also will help you get a nice bokeh which means bluring the background which is important in some type of photography like portraits.
The 50mm will be better for portraits while the 35mm better for wider shots.

I own the Nikon D3300, its an excellent camera, very affordable but has excellent low light performance and good auto focus system considering the price you have to spend.

I'd tend to agree with GG on this one. Yes you can learn on a higher end P&S or maybe a bridge camera, but odds are good you'll start to outgrow it rather quickly. I think your best bet would most likely be to start with a basic DSLR and that way if you decide you want to add abilities later, you always can simply by purchasing additional lenses, accessories, etc.

I'm more of the school of thought where if you get a P&S you can use it daily and carry it with you everywhere. You'll learn more by virtue of taking more photos. A DSLR requires commitment to carry it about and you are tempted to not take it along.

Start with the Smaller camera and find your style. Find where you lack and then angle your DSLR system accordingly. I use my compact camera almost daily whilst I use my DSLR once or twice a week.

Thanks everyone for your input.
As I want to actively start photography as a hobby, it's not so important to always carry the camera with me. I want to deliberately go out and practice. Having a full-sized camera, I think I'd feel more immersed into the activity. Don't you feel the same?

I am currently gravitating towards the D3300, as it is a conventional DSLR, has an optical viewfinder, good price-performance ratio, and 60p is a nice gimmick - putting video in 0.5 slow-motion can make everything look just a bit more awesome ;)

Thanks everyone for your input.
As I want to actively start photography as a hobby, it's not so important to always carry the camera with me. I want to deliberately go out and practice. Having a full-sized camera, I think I'd feel more immersed into the activity. Don't you feel the same?

I am currently gravitating towards the D3300, as it is a conventional DSLR, has an optical viewfinder, good price-performance ratio, and 60p is a nice gimmick - putting video in 0.5 slow-motion can make everything look just a bit more awesome ;)

Good plan. The only thing I will add to the advice here is to consider buying used/refurbished. For camera bodies and lenses, there is a good resell market because of people outgrowing their equipment. Much of it is like new as people tend to take good care of expensive items. You can pick up a refurbished directly from Nikon or from one of the reputable online stores like Adorama, Cameta, KEH etc. Not sure if they sell/ship to your area but I'm sure you have something similar.

Well, the ideal camera for learning photography would IMHO be an old semipro or even professional camera.

While these cameras lack the newest gimmicks like video and lifeview and offer less high ISO performance etc, they still have great controls and advanced photography features like HSS. You will simply need to apply more good old technique than users of newer cameras, such as knowing how to use flash.

Get a good normal zoom like a 17-50mm f2.8 sigma or tamron for it, and an external flash, and you should be all set to dive into photography:

Nikon D80 - one of the last CCD Nikons, can be had for about 150$ now
Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS or Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC - a good bright normal zoom, approx 300$ used
Nikon SB800 - possibly the best Nikon flash of all times, ca 150$ used

Of course, most people rather get a D3300 with a kit lens ... which IMHO makes no sense, the D5200 is both cheaper and a superior camera, with a much better autofocus system and an uber useful flipscreen. Neither the D3x00 nor the D5x00 line offers advanced features like a builtin motor or HSS.

P.s.: Drat, didnt managed to stay inside budget. Forget it then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back