Uses for different lenses

When you're taking pictures do you wish you could get closer? If you do, you need a telephoto. Do you wish you could get farther away? Then you need a wider-angle. A lot of it has to do with your personal needs. At one point I was lusting after a wide angle lens and I went to a file of photos and looked at the shots. I found that by far the shots maxed out at the wide end and not the longer end. I decided I wanted the telephoto but needed a wider angle lens.

Generally, I use wide-angle lenses for interiors of buildings, land and seascapes. I use telephotos to move in and get details.

There are those who say, sometimes quite snippy, that you can just use your feet. That's true but standing in heavy traffic while I take a picture is distracting and getting up close and personal with a bear isn't advised.

When you're taking pictures do you wish you could get closer? If you do, you need a telephoto. Do you wish you could get farther away? Then you need a wider-angle. A lot of it has to do with your personal needs. At one point I was lusting after a wide angle lens and I went to a file of photos and looked at the shots. I found that by far the shots maxed out at the wide end and not the longer end. I decided I wanted the telephoto but needed a wider angle lens.

Generally, I use wide-angle lenses for interiors of buildings, land and seascapes. I use telephotos to move in and get details.

There are those who say, sometimes quite snippy, that you can just use your feet. That's true but standing in heavy traffic while I take a picture is distracting and getting up close and personal with a bear isn't advised.

Another issue is the different perspective. Long (telephoto) lenses compress distance. It's most important with portraits. If you use a short (wide angle) lens and get up close, the subject's nose is exaggerated. An 85mm lens is popular with portraits.

Of course there is the aspect of "getting" closer...

Presentation of space is different between the different focal lengths.... Telephoto tends to "compress" or "flatten" and shorter focal lengths tend to "exaggerate" or "expand". It also changes how depth of field is perceived within your photos. It also changes how you compose your photos with different field of view.

I prefer to think of focal lengths as I do with apertures. Shorter focal lengths tend to tell a story while telephotos tends to feature or isolate subject matter.

Thanks for all the input guys, but its not really what i was after.
If anyone would be so kind to list the lens type and what the lens would be used for i'd be in your debt. Thanks again :)

Thanks for all the input guys, but its not really what i was after.
If anyone would be so kind to list the lens type and what the lens would be used for i'd be in your debt. Thanks again :)

I didn't have any problem with what's been said. At least, I mean I can comprehend it without a chart.

The smaller the focal length number (ex: 10mm) the wider the view. What you're asking for is really pointless as well because for portraiture, I've used a 10-20mm, a 24-70mm, a 50mm, a 18-55mm, 15mm, and a 70-200mm. One focal range just doesn't cover exactly one aspect of photography. I could use the same range of lenses for sports as well. Different sports require different lenses. To expect some one to list every possible type of photography that you could shoot at that focal range is rediculous.

Most reactions

Back