Using AV & TV On an SLR

Jen Puleo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Nikon d40 & I've never used AV or TV. When are they good to use & what type of effect do they have on photos? Thanks.

Jen

Jen.....you might spend some serious time with your manual and camera. The aperture and shutter speed are fundamental topics in photography.

Sweeping questions like this are not easy to answer in a short forum comment.

You shoot Nikon and have AV and TV on your camera?... good luck finding that in the manual....

In short: Av (Aperture mode) is good when you want to control depth of field (blurry background). Tv (Shutter Mode) is good when you want to control how sharp or blurry you moving images are.

Other than that, I second the idea of RTFM. Open the book that came with your camera :)

ahhhh.... i feel bad....

quickly..

experiment with Aperture Priority to adjust depth of field - eg a sharp picture of a subject with a blurred back ground = low F number ... a sharp picture of subject and sharp background = high F number...

experiment with Shutter Priority to adjust shutter speed - eg a fast shutter speed to freeze motion like a race car..... or a slow shutter speed to create blur... like those waterfall pictures you've seen...

as the others have said it's more complicated than this so read up and experiment....

as I joked before your Nikon D40 should not have Av and Tv... those are lame canon terminologies..

Thanks everyone! I did not realize it wasn't a straight forward answer. Gotta stop shooting & start reading I guess.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back