elrafo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
el-rafo.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

I have a SB600 and an Hasselblad 500 c/m.
I would like to find the right exposure and I don't have a digital back, my tests will be visible after prints ;)
is there a way (not too expensive) to set the right intensity on my SB 600 (1/1, 1/4 ...) for the right Speed / aperture ?

do I have to check tables or charts for that?

thanks!!

First choice would be to use a flash meter.
Failing that, you could calculate it yourself using the GN of the flash.

Rated GN 98, feet at ISO 100 at the 35mm setting.
You take the GN and divide it by the distance of the flash to the subject...the result is the F number of the aperture that will give you proper exposure.

So with the flash at 12 feet from the subject you would use an aperture of F8 give or take (98/12=8). This given that the flash was fired at full power, 35mm setting and you're using ISO 100 film.

Remember that the GN will change, with the flash head at different zoom positions...so you will have to look that up.

Another choice would be to use a Polaroid film to check your lighting & exposure...before shooting with your intended film.

thanks!

another option would be to shoot manually with my D200 and do some tests ?
does digital reacts like film with flash, that is the question...

another option would be to shoot manually with my D200 and do some tests ?
does digital reacts like film with flash, that is the question...
Oh sure...if you have a digital camera, you can use that to test your results. Besides some differences in the dynamic range...film and digital can be treated pretty much the same. The sensitivity is calibrated to the same scale (ISO).

Just keep in mind that looking at the image on the back of the digital camera, isn't the best way to judge the exposure. Make sure to look at the histogram.

Oh sure...if you have a digital camera, you can use that to test your results. Besides some differences in the dynamic range...film and digital can be treated pretty much the same. The sensitivity is calibrated to the same scale (ISO).

Make sure you bracket your exposures on the film back. Digital cameras vary, for example, the D2h is almost a half stop more sensitive to light then the D1, and I have no idea what their sensitivity compared to film is.

Negitive film should give you some leeway but do have a care.

Also, the Hassy is a 6x6 format and your SB is designed for the 35mm format which means that it throws a rectangular pattern instead of a square one so you will have to back up the flash to compensate for that.

Good luck.

Make sure you bracket your exposures on the film back. Digital cameras vary, for example, the D2h is almost a half stop more sensitive to light then the D1, and I have no idea what their sensitivity compared to film is.

According to Sean Reid (http://www.reidreviews.com) the D200 is spot on with its ISO ratings - i.e. it's the same as film.

Thats cool to know about the D200! :)

I also knew that it was very close to my light meter readings all the time when playing around (ie: lightmeter told me that I needed F/8 and setting the camera to F/8 gave me a properly exposed pic).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back