using my dads old strobe, external flash on my d40?

austriker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dlindahlphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay so my dad gave me his old external flash (vivitar 550 FD M/P/O) that he used his old pentex SLR and i was wondering if i can use it on my d40. i have heard that they might like overload the voltage but i am not sure where to check this out... i googled but couldnt find much on this external flash, i suppose its real old..

also it is a "M/P/O" model, which means its not for nikon, however i loaded it on my mount and it does work with the shutter.. however i do not know how to work it, i just pressed the shutter release and the flash worked with that...

help!! thanks!!

I checked the famous botzilla web site for trigger voltages, and the 550's trigger voltage is quite low; units seem to vary, but all were from 4 to 10 volts, which is a VERY safe range for a D40. The M/P/O stood for Minolta Pentax Olympus.

With a bit of testing and practice, you can probably get decent results using the flash and your D40; after all, the D40 has a built-in exposure proofing system,right on the back of the camera.

i found that site too but i thought i read it was for EOS which i assumed was canon cameras; so i left it.. but i guess i did not dig enough.. thanks for your help. i will bring it to school with me and start experimenting (i have no idea how to work one :lol:)

after all, the D40 has a built-in exposure proofing system,right on the back of the camera.

please explain, is this the AE-L button? i know my camera wholey except for this button. also could you explain how to use the flash? i suppose i just set it on Auto1 and let it rock n roll. i have been reading stuff on strobes and how different will all this information for me b/c mine is quite old?

Sorry about my comment. What I meant to say is that with the LCD on the back of a d-slr, it's rather easy to take a photo at a particular flash power level,and using the "blinkies" and/or the histogram, to look at a shot and to decide if you need to open the aperture up wider, or to close the aperture down a bit, or to either lower or elevate the ISO setting to get a good histogram reading.

On most older flashes, there is a small switch that has 1 or 2 or maybe 3 different positions, and each position corresponds to what is called an AUTO-aperture setting. Those auto apertures are usually related to a particular ISO setting, like 100,200,and 400,and the relationship/settings are usually printed on a small chart or dial on the flash itself.

Here is an on-line PDF manual for the 550 FD. http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/vivitar_550_fd_n.pdf

It has A1 and A2 auto f/stops, plus Manual mode. A1 is for larger(wider hole) f/stops and A2 is for a smaller f/stop (smller hole, higher f/number value). Set the ISO speed you have, and read off the A1 and A2 values. Set yuor shutter speed in Manual mode to 1/200 second or slower, and use the suggested fs/top setting across from A1 or A2.

Shoot. Evaluate exposure. Adjust the lens to a wider or smaller aperture, OR adjust the ISO setting up or down 1/3 or 2/3 or 1 whole ISO value to get the exposures perfect. The system is an old technology, but it works quite well!

The D40 can take up to 250V, so it should be ok.

You'll have to shoot in manual mode (and turn off Auto-ISO). Then with a bit of trial and error, find the right aperture to give you the correct exposure.

As mentioned, put the camera into manual exposure mode. Put the shutter speed at 1/200.
The things we use to control the flash power/exposure are; the lens aperture, the flash power setting, the ISO and the distance from the flash to the subject.

Play around with these things and see what you can get.

Most reactions

Back