Using window light technique

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I always see gorgeous portraits (especially brides!) looking out the window in a dramatic B&W. I know this is a very loaded question but I just want to hear how people go about getting those shots. Everytime I try that I always get the light around the window way blown out and the person is a silhouette. And I don't have an exposure meter either which I know doesn't help. I know I can't be given exact settings to use, but what setting should I mess around with the most to figure it all out?

Thanks!!

What kind of body do you have? Alot of cameras have spot meters this would help.

actually I just got a new camera and lens
30D and 70-200 f2.8
And when I say just got it I mean 2 days ago. So, I haven't tried to do it with that equipment yet. When I did tried it I was using the Rebel XT and 17-85 lens.

Well the dynamic range in such instances is huge. It comes down to either a) metering what you deem more important, or b) reducing the dynamic range by use of flash.

Garbz answer is the standard for this situation. You need to balance out the setting. A large white reflector (sheet of foam core) can help.

With no specifics, its hard to theorize a setting.

Most reactions

Back