UV light

davholla

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How many people have tried this? I have only taken one
IMG_7206ScorpionUVlight by davholla2002, on Flickr

I had one big problem it was very dark and I had to use slow shutter speed and f4 to take it.
I haven't tried again since, I keep forgetting but apparently all arachnids glow (most remember a tripod or something next time)
In case you are interested here it is under normal light
IMG_7201Scorpion by davholla2002, on Flickr

It was a Tityus (Atreus) forcipula adult male and I had picked it up for a second and later found that it can kill a person (hard to tell exactly how dangerous)

Did you remember to remove your UV Filter?

Did you remember to remove your UV Filter?
I wanted the UV effect, so no I didn't.

Um....... if you left your UV filter on, you didn't take a UV image. You took an image with mostly 'visible' light. Your UV filter (as well as the UV properties of the filter in front of your camera's sensor) prevented most of the UV light from reaching the sensor.

UV filters don't allow UV light to pass......... it blocks it.

To take a truly UV image, you'll need to remove the UV filter built into the camera. This is definitely not a DIY project.

Perhaps I was not clear, I was talking about taking photos under UV light - not UV photos.

I like it. Interestingly, a newly molted Arachnid doesn't glow until the cuticle hardens.
Have you tried it? I must try some more shots - but time and other subjects have stopped me.

Perhaps I was not clear, I was talking about taking photos under UV light - not UV photos.

The lamp that is producing the light may certainly be pumping out UV light, but you've filtered out 99.5% of it. You've basically taken a visible light image, heavy on the blue end of the spectrum.

You can accomplish the same using an ordinary light source and a blue filter.

The lamp that is producing the light may certainly be pumping out UV light, but you've filtered out 99.5% of it. You've basically taken a visible light image, heavy on the blue end of the spectrum.

How did I do that? I didn't have a UV filter.

Last edited:
I like it. Interestingly, a newly molted Arachnid doesn't glow until the cuticle hardens.
Have you tried it? I must try some more shots - but time and other subjects have stopped me.
No, but I have seen it in the lab. 480sparky is correct. What I have seen in the lab it a whitish-green glow (similar to Bioluminescent Algae), one needs to remove the camera's UV filter to capture the proper spectrum/color, in order for the captured image to reflect how our eyes would see it, (if we could see full spectrum UV).

Most standard digital cameras have a built in UV filter.

No, but I have seen it in the lab. 480sparky is correct. What I have seen in the lab it a whitish-green glow (similar to Bioluminescent Algae), one needs to remove the camera's UV filter to capture the proper spectrum/color, in order for the captured image to reflect how our eyes would see it, (if we could see full spectrum UV).

Most standard digital cameras have a built in UV filter.
Thanks that make senses, but if it is built in how can you remove it?

The whole point of the exercise would seem to be about capturing the florescence produced by the UV light rather than capturing the actual UV light so a UV filter would improve the effect.
No you can't! The scorpion won't fluoresce under ordinary light but even if it did the blue filter would probably block some of the fluorescing colors.

The whole point of the exercise would seem to be about capturing the florescence produced by the UV light rather than capturing the actual UV light so a UV filter would improve the effect.
That is correct, sorry if I was not clear, but if I have a built in UV filter why would another one help?

That is correct, sorry if I was not clear, but if I have a built in UV filter why would another one help?
Probably adding another UV filter won't make any difference. Not only do you have a UV filter built into the camera sensor but modern lenses use UV cured cement in their construction and that absorbs UV better than your average filter.

Use UV sensitive film

Most reactions

New Topics

Back