Vertical composition question...

Bresine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
sorry guys, really stupid question here...

What physically happens when I turn my d-slr camera sidways to shoot a picture? My on screen settings shift with me , but why does my pictures always seem smaller and cut off from both sides? I am exposing more vertically into the picture, but why does'nt a vertically composed picture "fit to screen" on my d-slr as a normal photo would? Is this just an "on camera" setting?
..again..really sorry...horribly ignorant question...just trying to understand as much as possible on whats actually happening.

Many thanks.....

You probably have Auto Rotate on. Look in your menu options and you should be able to turn it off.

but why does'nt a vertically composed picture "fit to screen" on my d-slr as a normal photo would? Is this just an "on camera" setting?
It's because the photos are rectangular, not square....and the screen is probably a similar shape. The images fit nicely in landscape orientation but when the images are vertical, the shape doesn't match the screen so it's zoomed out a bit (leaving some space on the sides).

You should have buttons for zooming in on the image and moving the view around.

Most reactions

Back