Vertical Shot Overload C&C

Dionysus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just so happens that my favorite pics from todays session (showing my parents, who are first time visitors to the area, around). It was the first blue sky day in a week. It's been raining pretty consistently up here lately.

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

lol no one comments on new guy photos? :p

Heh. I find it funny how chrisburke's comment wasn't really a comment...

I think that of this series, 1 is the strongest. I like the composition, but something feels... wrong. On second thought, I think it's the depth of focus. Maybe you should go back, and focus on the boats instead of the log? The blues and ripples are vivid, though, and I like that about it.

thanks i appreciate the comments...i need all the help i can get, as i am still learning. i used a polarizer on most of the water shots, because the sun was at high noon, and everything was looking washed out. I didnt know if i focused on the boats, given how many of them there were, if itd look too busy. I focused on the stake, because in my beginners kick i'm sort of focusing in more on the items we ignore or pass over in our everyday life.

But maybe i'm getting too artistic, before i learn about the fundamentals first.

thanks though.

i like the fifth one down the most. it's too bad you got a bit of lens flair on it though

ya i saw that, what causes that? was some dust, or a smudge on the lens or something?

There are a lot to comment on in here. In general, I'm very drawn to the one of your wife(?) with her baby just next to the window. I think it needs a little more work, but I like the scene very much. I might crop a bit more and bright the light up a bit more so you can see the baby's face just a BIT better.

The boxes are a neat subject, but I don't think the shot quite worked. Brighten them up a bit may help. A different perspective (landscape) may have worked well here.

Overall you seen very drawn to portrait setups, but they don't always work for the shot... look at the prevailing lines in the image you are trying to capture and consider how those play well to either a landscape or portrait. If you're not certain, try both. #3, imo, really called for landscape.

The docks in #5 are slanted and unfortunately due to that bright sky most of the subject is too dark. Probably hard to avoid in that particular circumstance without washing out the sky a bit.

Big blue skies with cool cloud formations are great, but my recommendation would be to think of them as seasoning. They're not the main course, they just make the main course all that much better, and without them the dish may taste a bit flat. Don't take up too much of your image with them or you will be left with a big brick of seasoning and essentially no main course.

Just some thoughts... hope they help. I think you have a great eye and just need more practice.

thanks, i really do appreciate the info.

and that's not my wife, its my wifes good friend w/ our new baby...I liked that as well, and think it does have potential if i brighten it up. I'm not necessarily drawn to portrait style, just so happens that day that most of the things i liked turned out that way. The grape bins would probably have been better landscaped.

I'll keep the "blue sky as seasoning" in mind..thanks for the info!

ya i saw that, what causes that? was some dust, or a smudge on the lens or something?

no, it is not caused by either of those.

as quoted from wikipedia, "Lens flare is the light scattered in lens systems through generally unwanted image formation mechanisms, such as internal reflecting and scattering from material inhomogeneities in the lens."

The second pic is the one that caught my attention. The verticals in the window are way off, the background over-exposed but somehow I liked it & so with my free software tried to fix it a little.

ronedit.jpg

1 & 5 are my favorites.

I like #1 the way it is, with the focus on the pole.
5 looks like it might be a little bit crooked, but otherwise I like it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back