view camera tripod recommendations

montresor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Had the opportunity to get an Omega 45D with two lenses for an unheard-of price, but need a tripod and head. Bogen and Manfrotto seem to be the makes most often recommended, but buying a large-format head/tripod new will cost me more than I got the view camera for! Is this something I can obtain used and be fairly assured of its reliability? I don't want to find my big heavy 45D slowly listing in the middle of a shoot. If these can be had used, what models should I look for?

Had the opportunity to get an Omega 45D with two lenses for an unheard-of price, but need a tripod and head. Bogen and Manfrotto seem to be the makes most often recommended, but buying a large-format head/tripod new will cost me more than I got the view camera for! Is this something I can obtain used and be fairly assured of its reliability? I don't want to find my big heavy 45D slowly listing in the middle of a shoot. If these can be had used, what models should I look for?

Bogen/Manfrotto are expensive but worth, IMHO. I use a Toyo 45CX on a Manfrotto 3021 and it's an awesome tripod. Solid as a rock and very well made. Don't be bothered by the fact that your new 45D costs less than a good tripod. Your gain was on the camera. ;)

There are a few used 3021 on Ebay, I bought mine new though.

Any tripod with a good head and good leg locks that weighs more than 12 lbs. should do the job. What you want to do is set the tripod up and then grap it by the head with both hands and try to twist it. An appropriate tripod for large format won't twist by hand. Look for models with struts between the legs and center column or with 6 legs that taper to 3. These are the ones that won't twist.

If you are at all handy, you could adapt a surveyor's wooden tripod. Those things are very solid. Recent changes in technology has relegated many of these to the storage shed. You should be able to get one from a local survey company for a very good price. Another source for really good tripods are astronomy clubs. Hobby astronomers are always after bigger tripods thus needing to sell some of their current ones.

You know, I've often looked covetously at the big tripods surveyors use! That might be an interesting (and inexpensive) project to undertake.

Look at the Slik 700 DX PRO. It is tall, strong and reasonably priced. Usually under $200 in stores.

Most reactions

Back