virtual memory and cs3

sage95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.koehlerimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I try to do a photomerge in cs3 I get a warning that there is not enough virtual memory. I am guessing that this is refering to RAM and I have one gig. This computer used to perform the function but I hadn't tried in a few months. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Photoshop is indeed a ram intensive program, but no amount of ram will ever be enough. Photoshop, like your operating system, needs a scratch disk, or a location on the hard disk were it can write temporary files when the ram is full. If you have photoshop installed on your C: drive, and your scratch disk set to your C: drive, along with your Windows (assuming PC here) virtual memory also using this drive, you may quickly run out of space. The best thing you can do is use a second hard drive for your photoshop scratch disk. If this is impossible, always make sure you have several gigs of free space on your C: drive. Filling up your desktop with downloads and such quickly eats up available space so be careful.

Scratch in photoshop may be different than virtual memory. Where did you get the error? In photoshop or in a windows tooltip saying virtual memory too low? The former means your scratchdrive is possibly full, the latter means that your system memory (windows RAM + page file) is too small, and can be fixed by right clicking my computer -> properties, and working through the performance tab to get to virtual memory settings.

Thanks for the tip. I am pretty sure it was a photoshop error. How do I set the scratch disk, and can it be an external hardrive?

In the photoshop menu, go>preferences>plugins and scratchdisks

It CAN be an external drive but it's best if it's either a seperate physical disk or partition.
Speed can be a problem at times if the ext. disk isn't fast enough.
If it's a firewire disk that shouldn't be the case, and in many cases it won't be a problem if it's a USB2.0 disk. But it COULD cause a slowdown. Especially if other things are reading or writing to the same HD.

Most reactions

Back