Vivitar v2000 project

I think I will have to do a lot of research on how camera lenses work. Any good resources that you can recommend?

I started taking apart the Polaroid and I realized I will have to create a few of my own parts. There is plenty of room for the sensor, but since the polaroid is meant to shine the light on a 3.1 x 3.1 inch film, I will have to improvise.

I would rather go on the inexpensive side to start with, in case I mess things up. 100$ is not much, but it can add up quickly.

I hope to use a lens from surplusshed (Lens Finder - Surplus Shed) and get someone to print out a part that I will draft up . The part would hold the lens in the proper position inside the polaroid, and I would epoxy it to the case and fiddle with it to get the lens placement right so that the CCD sensor can get a clear image.

I have to agree with this post along with mine ;). You want to do something very cool that would require the same skills without the same headaches then turn an old $5 roll film box camera into a digital camera. Now that would turn some heads. Films not that inconvenient it just requires a waiting period. I'm no engineer by any means and I too love to tinker but this project sounds WAY difficult and I'd hate to think in the end your memory of this camera is that it ended up in pieces in a box in the closet never to work again.

Yea, I think I will begin with something similar to this: Konica Auto S2 35mm Film Camera + Case & Manual | eBay
Doesnt look to complicated, and would work great as a mirrorless camera, and I would work my way up from there.

If you pull this off you will be "Da Man". I know if I tried it I'd get frustrated and toss it in the closet, you should see my closet.:lol:

I am documenting each step with images so that this kind of hack can be performed and possibly improved by other people too. I would love to see this become a common thing.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Although I like tinkering too (not at the level of BrianV - just playing with lenses, done one from a magnifier, done a sort of tilt&shift, etc), it seems to me that the initial idea was difficult but interesting, while working on the Polaroid will give you just a sort of plastic box with a P&S inside.
I did sort of reverse: I had a scientific Polaroid with a Tominon 105/4.5 lens, which is now one of the lenses I put sometimes on my Canon.
Anyway, if you want to reduce the crop factor (I suppose this is what you want to do with "a lens"), you have to replicate something similar to the Metabone Speedbooster.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back