• Poll closed .

Jeffro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
infinitecustoms.forumotion.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok every one. I want to get into more portraits and I am looking for a nice Prime lens. I have two options and want to know what everyone thinks!

1. NIKON 50mm f/1.8

2. Nikon 35mm f/1.8d

For portraits the 35mm is going to be a little wide. To fill the frame your going to have to move in a bit. And you may get a little distortion of prominent feartures like noses if your in too close. This effect gets worse the closer you get in (the wider the lens). It would be ok for large group shots. But single portraits it may be a little on the wide side.

In full frame speak, 85 to 105 is normally considered the sweet length for portraits. Some like even longer. So the 50mm and a 1.5x crop would give you a 75mm equalivalent view. And that is getting you pretty close to the "normal" portrait range. It really deppends on what your shooting. But I think the 50mm would be the better choice for portraits.

I voted for the 50mm after having had both... the 35 was just too wide for me most of the time.

For portraits I'd say the 50 or even 85. However for the money (~$100) you really can't beat the 50mm f/1.8D lens, plus it's small enough to fit in almost any bag or your pocket.

I have 3 lenses for my D90:

1. Walk around, does all lens: Sigma 18-250 f/3.5-6.3

2. Walk around, mid range fast lens: Nikon 35-70 f/2.8

3. Compact fast lens: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

My only want right now is a fast zoom (70-200 f/2.8) but that is a long way off :lol:

Since you said portraits, I voted 50mm. For portraits, I would go even longer than that (85 or 135mm), but 50 is better than 35.

yeah if I get the 50mm I can get the SB-600 also cause I can spend $400

Come on people I need more votes cause I suck at making up my own mind@!!!! LOL

Since you said portraits, I voted 50mm. For portraits, I would go even longer than that (85 or 135mm), but 50 is better than 35.

My best friend has a 85mm that I am borrowing right now and it is a great lens and I can use it ALMOST when ever I want.... So I dont want the same thing. But I do want one of my own!

Do you mean the 35 mm f/1.8G. ;) aka.......AF-S 35mm f/1.8G

The 50mm f/1.8D aka........AF 50 mm f/1.8D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back