VR I vs II

What was improved between VR I and VR II?

Nikon's profit margin.

Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif
Sorry... couldn't resist that one!

VR I: 3 stops extra exposure
VRII: 4 stops extra exposure

That's the difference i think.

There are also some significant quality differences between the two lenses. It's not JUST about the VR tech. (and also a huge price difference)

It's like a lot of things... the more expensive one is better. The question is can you (or do you want to) spend that kind of money.

The VR1 may vignette on a crop frame sensor. I read that once somewhere on the webs-

The newer VR II 70-200/2.8 from Nikon was designed for better optical performance on higher-MP sensors, and it's also been designed to pair with the newer TC-20 E-III, the world's first teleconverter with aspherical element design. The newer lens model has less light fall-off at the edges, and better sharpness off-center on 24-MP and 36-MP FX sensors. The older VR-I model I own; it's got some corner "issues" that were visible on the 12 MP FX cameras, became very noticeable on the D3x at 24MP on FX; and are very obvious on the D800. The issue of corner fall-off is more noticeable at longer distances.

The newer VR-II lens loses a lot of focal length as it is focused closer, and by minimum focus distance, the VR-II lens has lost about 70mm in focal length at its longest zoom position, as I recall.

Now you know the pros and cons. Either one you get, i don't think you will be disappointed by this lens.

The newer VR II 70-200/2.8 from Nikon was designed for better optical performance on higher-MP sensors, and it's also been designed to pair with the newer TC-20 E-III, the world's first teleconverter with aspherical element design. The newer lens model has less light fall-off at the edges, and better sharpness off-center on 24-MP and 36-MP FX sensors. The older VR-I model I own; it's got some corner "issues" that were visible on the 12 MP FX cameras, became very noticeable on the D3x at 24MP on FX; and are very obvious on the D800. The issue of corner fall-off is more noticeable at longer distances.

The newer VR-II lens loses a lot of focal length as it is focused closer, and by minimum focus distance, the VR-II lens has lost about 70mm in focal length at its longest zoom position, as I recall.

How can you tell if you tell if you have an older or newer 70-200 VR II?

Easiest way to tell is the shoe on the VR2 is removable. The VR1 is not. (as shown above)

Most reactions

Back