Photos NOT OK to edit
20180122-untitled-9-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

X Pro-2
f/5.6
ISO 200
1/250 Sec.
Fujifilm XF 23 mm f/2 R WR
23 mm Equivalent 35 mm

Thanks For Looking Any Comments/Criticism Will Be Appreciated.

Enezdez

Looks good to me.

I always enjoy looking at your photos, you have a good eye for capturing life. Just a personal preference but many of your B&W seem to be lacking in mid tones. The histogram shows the maxed blacks and highlights which creates unnecessary specularity in the scene, and a lack of mid tones in the darker range.
Capture1234.JPG
You have an "inny" where I would typically strive for an "outy". LOL

This may have been your artistic decision, and I can respect that. If so, then my comments are mute.

I'm no expert and struggle daily with a proper exposure, as changing light can drastically affect the bell curve. I found this site to be a good example of what I'm talking about as the graphic (top right) shows you the tonal values. Does the Camera’s Histogram Show Correct Exposure?

I always enjoy looking at your photos, you have a good eye for capturing life. Just a personal preference but many of your B&W seem to be lacking in mid tones. The histogram shows the maxed blacks and highlights which creates unnecessary specularity in the scene, and a lack of mid tones in the darker range. View attachment 152567You have an "inny" where I would typically strive for an "outy". LOL

This may have been your artistic decision, and I can respect that. If so, then my comments are mute.

I'm no expert and struggle daily with a proper exposure, as changing light can drastically affect the bell curve. I found this site to be a good example of what I'm talking about as the graphic (top right) shows you the tonal values. Does the Camera’s Histogram Show Correct Exposure?

Oops -- what you're seeing in the histogram that reaches max black and white is the border -- not technically part of the image. But your assessment of the image is otherwise correct. Disregard the border and there's no black or white. It has a flat, lacking normal contrast appearance with compressed midtones.

Joe

:cupcake: Duh, I completely ignored/missed the border. I don't normally use a border of any type so apparently my tunnel vision was in fine form!

What matters is that you're seeing the image correctly.

I suspect I would have enjoyed being in your classes, and would have learned a lot. You have a way of making things clear while letting us off without feeling like dummies LOL

I always enjoy looking at your photos, you have a good eye for capturing life. Just a personal preference but many of your B&W seem to be lacking in mid tones. The histogram shows the maxed blacks and highlights which creates unnecessary specularity in the scene, and a lack of mid tones in the darker range. View attachment 152567You have an "inny" where I would typically strive for an "outy". LOL

:cupcake: Duh, I completely ignored/missed the border. I don't normally use a border of any type so apparently my tunnel vision was in fine form!

What matters is that you're seeing the image correctly.

Joe

I don't really understand to much what you are saying regarding the Histogram but in essence you are telling my images largely flat because they lack blacks & whites??? Or do I have it all wrong?

Thanks In Advance!

you are telling my images largely flat because they lack blacks & whites?

A perfectly exposed histogram would have a bell curve starting at the very bottom corner of the left side extending upward in a uniform bell curve, and then extending downward to touch the right bottom corner. A B&W image is composed of varying shades of gray from solid black (left side) to pure white (right side), the histogram on your image shows that the mid tones (the middle grays, if that makes it easier to understand), especially the darker mid tones are lacking (or compressed as Joe put it) because the curve is inverted downward. If you haven't read it yet I suggest you review the link I posted earlier.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back