Wants to buy a dslr camera, help plz?

jaddeyyy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I took a photography and yearbook class so I know somewhat a alittle about cameras.
But I'm really looking for a digital slr camera.
I dont want a point and shoot camera (because I already have one).
Im a little confused about the megapixels. What exactly does a higher mp mean? Does it mean it can capture images quickly and more accurately?
I really do want to buy one thats reliable, good quality pics and easy to use.
Thanks!

More pixels doens't necessarily mean it's a better camera than others with less. A thing mostly met in compact cameras is the crowding of pixels. I mean you see that a new model appears with the same image sensor but with more megapixels. Well the only thing that manufacturer did is to crowd the pixels. This has some side effects like you have a lot more noise.

For your information, in DSLR world the only thing that give you high qulity photos is the LENS you are using. So since you are at the beginning i advise you to invest most of the money in the lens not the camera. Because as time goes there will appear new cameras and the old will be outdated, but the awesome lenses will still remain awesome :)

Start with a basic consumer dSLR like a Nikon D40, Canon xt/xti/xsi. Once you get used to it and learn more about photography then you can upgrade.

You also need to give us your budget so that we can help you out some more.

i would strongly recommend you do some searching around this forum, your original posts shows that you really have next to now knowledge on the technical side of photography, which is odd because you say you've taken a photography course.. what the heck are they teaching in schools today?

This forum is where I have learned everything about photography, other than a few books I own (which I recommend doing as well) the people here are awesome, and very knowledgeable. Before you make a post about something, be sure to do a search first, pretty much any question you can think of, has likely already been asked 100 times in here, and answered very well in most cases.

I 100% agree with A4Effort, you should get a beginner camera first like the Nikon d40, its a great camera for people who want to get their feet wet, and the bonus is, its not very expensive, so if you decide a year from now, that the technical side of photography is far to confusing for you, you havent wasted $2000 on a camera.

Good luck, and keep us updated on what you get.

p.s. to take a quick stab at your question... higher megapixles is only good if your printing GIANT pictures... the D40 is 6.1mp and it prints amazing pictures, as long as you dont go much higher than a 11x16 you can go a bit higher, but not much.... and also a big +1 on Khronos statement "in DSLR world the only thing that give you high qulity photos is the LENS you are using"

i was thinking more of a nikon d60?
or do you think thats to advanced for me?

ok, than what kind of lens should i get is i get a d40?

To get started, personally I believe the lens that shipped with the camera is good in general. I do not mean they are the best. I mean they are good for a beginners.

Once you learn more about the system as well as photography, you will know what you want and what you need.

Also, how much are you planning to spend on the camera equipment in the beginning?

Nevermind lighting, composition, or any other skill...

theres always someone who tries to be a *****... obviously lighting and all that stuff makes a picture too.. but you can have the best lighting in the world, if you have a crappy lens, you'll get a crappy photo

i was thinking more of a nikon d60?
or do you think thats to advanced for me?

the d60 is basically the exact same camera as the d40... really pointless to buy, since its like 200 bucks more

I would not recommend the Nikon D40 simply because it is 6 megapixels and close to obsolete with cameras at more than double that at 12 and 14 plus in the mid range. Megapixels determine resolution and sharpness and despite rhetoric that size of pixels and other factors are more important, lab reports do not support that contention.

Yes, you can get around some sharpness issues, with software and interpolation and other Photoshop techniques but if the data is not there in the original, you can only improve the situation to a limited extent.

skieur

I would not recommend the Nikon D40 simply because it is 6 megapixels and close to obsolete with cameras at more than double that at 12 and 14 plus in the mid range. Megapixels determine resolution and sharpness and despite rhetoric that size of pixels and other factors are more important, lab reports do not support that contention.

Yes, you can get around some sharpness issues, with software and interpolation and other Photoshop techniques but if the data is not there in the original, you can only improve the situation to a limited extent.

skieur

higher mega pixles is only good if your printing HUGE prints... most of the world doesnt realize this... 6.1 mega pixles is GREAT for any user.

My recommendation would the the Nikon D70s. It is about the same price as the D40, but offers many more features, including a top screen, an aperture wheel, double the life span, more comfortable handling, but most importantly, an in-body AF motor. I originally bought a D40, but was unhappy with its plasticy body, its lack of controls, its short shutter life, and its lack of an AF motor (which meant I had to manual focus with some lenses.) Search for a used D70S on ebay. They're great cameras to learn and to grow into. You're going to feel limited with the D40 after you become more experienced.

And in response to other posters, you DON'T need more than 6 megapixels. All more will do is take up space on your memory card. Unless you're doing ridiculously large prints (which as a beginner, you most likely won't) then don't bother with anything over 6 Megapixels. I have been into photography for almost a year now, and in all the photos I have taken I have never felt the need for more megapixels.

As for lenses, most Nikon D70ss (plural) come with a great kit lens to start with (the Nikkor 18-70). I would also reccommend a 50mm F1.8 lens (nicknamed the "nifty fiftey"). It is cheap, fast, and it has outstanding image quality for its tiny $100 price tag. Plus, it will AF with the D70S, which it wont' do with the D40, D40x, or D60.

Hi. I took a photography and yearbook class so I know somewhat a alittle about cameras.
But I'm really looking for a digital slr camera.
I dont want a point and shoot camera (because I already have one).
Im a little confused about the megapixels. What exactly does a higher mp mean? Does it mean it can capture images quickly and more accurately?
I really do want to buy one thats reliable, good quality pics and easy to use.
Thanks!

Look at used. You'll save money and end up with a better camera than the entry level offerings from whatever companies are out there. You can even go new, but with cameras a few generations old. I think Ritz is still selling Canon 30D's for $699. You can find them used for about $550, 40D's for $400. Plus they're much better cameras than the D40's, D60, XT, XTI, etc...

A used D70s is another good suggestion. The cameras aren't any more complicated because they're not entry level, they just have features that make life better.

More pixels doens't necessarily mean it's a better camera than others with less. A thing mostly met in compact cameras is the crowding of pixels. I mean you see that a new model appears with the same image sensor but with more megapixels. Well the only thing that manufacturer did is to crowd the pixels. This has some side effects like you have a lot more noise.

For your information, in DSLR world the only thing that give you high qulity photos is the LENS you are using. So since you are at the beginning i advise you to invest most of the money in the lens not the camera. Because as time goes there will appear new cameras and the old will be outdated, but the awesome lenses will still remain awesome :)

Actually, the camera body does matter. Put a Canon 40D on green box mode and a Nikon D40 on green box mode and go shoot in a place with crappy lighting. So to make it fair, put both on the same settings at the same ISO levels. I'm pretty sure that you'll have less noise from the 40D, and there for a better quality image.

skieur

Strange. My 8mp 30D prints off 30"x45" photos just fine. I also have a Canon 300D. It's only 6mp, but it still takes...wait? What? Oh, that's right, I still take great pictures with it.

And 12mp & 15mp are at the high end. The 21mp & 24mp DSLR's out there have FF sensors and still have the pixel density of 8mp & 10mp APS-C sensor cameras.

thanks for all the great advice.
i went to walmart yesterday and ending up buying a canon rebel xs for 600.
i realized later it was to much for it, so im returning it today.
my bad =/

higher mega pixles is only good if your printing HUGE prints... most of the world doesnt realize this... 6.1 mega pixles is GREAT for any user.

Six megapixels will ONLY print a photo quality print at about 6 1/2 inches by 10 inches at photo quality and photo quality is defined as 300 dpi. It should be noted that photo/art galleries in many areas require more than 300 dpi for large prints.

skieur

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back