Warbler, What do you think of the PP

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by uplander, May 18, 2008.

1. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I shot these tonight and did a little post production on them. I cropped then tweaked the levels, upped the saturation a little and then unsharp mask. Too much ? too little ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kazoo

Kazoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't have a lot of technical knowledge, so my suggestion is purely from a birding level (great job at getting close enough to see the whiskers around the beak btw). The yellow warbler just just a tad orangey. Were you shooting near sunset though?

All in all though, nice close shot.

3. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes. about a half hour before sunset. That was pretty much the hue the sun gave him. I only upped the saturation a smidge.
    Here is a shot a little earlier on a different day

[​IMG]

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nice shots - especially considering that the sky behind looks to be grey overcast!
    Pose wise number 2 is the better as you have the bird almost facing the camera - he is just a little too high, but in all you have captured a really low down angle which is great. Its also great that you got him in a tree and yet there are no branches or twigs crossing the view = which can often happen
    As for the pp - I think you have done well with it - though I can't comment on colours. One tip that would improve the look of 1 and 2 at websize is to resize from the original in stages - say 2 or 3 stages and at each smaller size apply a weak unsharpen mask to the shot - this is because resizing will reduce the sharpness of the original and a big resize will reduce quality moreso.
    Great shots!

ahem - that 4th shot is now stitting as the best for me - the only niggle is the small amout of plant infront of his chest, but its really a small thing and it does not really detract from the shot - and its not really something that you have much control over ;)