Water Drops

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've played around with taking water drop pics before and I guess the first time I did it, I just happened to get lucky right from the start.

IMGP5777web2.jpg

I've re-visited this over the last few days and just can't re-create it. I'm shooting now with a Sigma 70mm Macro at 1/180 and f/8 to f/16 with an alien bee strobe at about 1/32 power. For focus, I have the water bag hanging above so that it hits in a constant location then put a pen or something in the same spot, focus on it then set to MF so it doesn't hunt. My problem is that I just can't get the sharpness that I would like and something similar to what I had in this picture. When you guys are shooting these, what lens and settings do you use? Did I just get lucky in the first round and it's really just a crap shoot and you pray and spray and keep shooting until you get a sharp one?

I know of two ways people shoot these - one is spray and pray - the other is using a trigger attachment - this is either sound, laser or in some cases a drop release timer (device releases drop - moments later it triggers the shutter - so you can perfectly set the shot to capture when the drop hits each time).

Otherwise blast away as fast as you can ;)

I've done these a couple of times and found if you have a slow drip you can kinda get into a rhythm. I started just when it would start to fall and adjusted my timing from there. I also like to get lower. Heres one of mine.

4238768309_d624b2f122_o.jpg

those are awesome! i wish i could do water drops... but i cant until i get my camera fixed... :(

I've re-visited this over the last few days and just can't re-create it. I'm shooting now with a Sigma 70mm Macro at 1/180 and f/8 to f/16 with an alien bee strobe at about 1/32 power. For focus, I have the water bag hanging above so that it hits in a constant location then put a pen or something in the same spot, focus on it then set to MF so it doesn't hunt. My problem is that I just can't get the sharpness that I would like and something similar to what I had in this picture. When you guys are shooting these, what lens and settings do you use? Did I just get lucky in the first round and it's really just a crap shoot and you pray and spray and keep shooting until you get a sharp one?

I agree with JAFO.. get lower. As far as everything else here, you are doing it right, but remember at macro focal lengths, even f/16 is still a pretty thin DOF. Set everything up as you have been, take a few shots, and then pop the card to computer to see where you are.... might need a slight focus adjustment that is not noticed on the camera's viewscreen.

I don't know how you are doing your drips from a "drip bag", but I used to keep chameleons, and still have a couple of these around.... Fluker`s Pet Reptile Drip Systems

Very handy for drop photos, since they have a small flow control valve on them. Most pet stores carry the small ones for a couple $'s.

I've done these a couple of times and found if you have a slow drip you can kinda get into a rhythm. I started just when it would start to fall and adjusted my timing from there. I also like to get lower. Heres one of mine.

What did you use for this set up?
Fstop?
Shutter?
Light?
Lens?

Fstop?
Shutter?
Light?
Lens?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.For this shot I used 1/160sec @ f/10.
I used my wife's 105mmf/2.8 nikon macro, with my sb-600 off camera pointed at a colored background. For the water drops I used an old cheap tripod that I had, with a bottle attached to it. The bottle I used was from a bicycle. The opening allowed me to meter the water fairly consistently. These shots are very fun to do especially when you have a couple of feet of snow outside. Good luck and post some up if you try it.

Fstop?
Shutter?
Light?
Lens?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.For this shot I used 1/160sec @ f/10.
I used my wife's 105mmf/2.8 nikon macro, with my sb-600 off camera pointed at a colored background. For the water drops I used an old cheap tripod that I had, with a bottle attached to it. The bottle I used was from a bicycle. The opening allowed me to meter the water fairly consistently. These shots are very fun to do especially when you have a couple of feet of snow outside. Good luck and post some up if you try it.

Yea, I want to try some of these.

What I own is in my sig + two umbrellas "black or white" and two light stands

you think I have what it takes?

Absolutely. Check out this video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwExpFDUC9Y]YouTube - How to photograph a splash of water - Week 52[/ame]

Well, after several shots, I think I see what I need to improve on. I've finally found a way to control everything except for getting a nice sharp crisp focus. I think it's probably about as close as I can get and the rest is luck at stopping it at the very split second the drop is motionless, and lemme tell ya, it's quick. Here's some I'm not ashamed of anyway.

IMGP1226WEB.jpg

IMGP1996web.jpg

IMGP2118WEB.jpg

IMGP2369WEB.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back