Watermark design and batch workflow?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me start by saying that I hate bad watermarks, and have been trying my best to avoid using watermarks at all. That being said, I'm getting back into selling sports photos from local high school events, and need to watermark them so that I at least get free advertising when people steal my images.

The problem I'm facing is that my images are often cropped to different sizes, so when adding watermarks to a batch of files, the watermark appears a different size in all of them.

I have lightroom and photoshop, and can also use the watermark feature on smugmug.

Is there a way get around this without individually watermarking each photo?

Should I downsize all the images to the same dimensions to make it easier? Or is there a way to scale the watermark automatically to a percentage of the photo size?

LR can scale the watermark, not sure how to batch process it though...

How many are you talking about in a batch and at what point are you trying to crop as a batch operation or individual?

Cropping is individual.

And if LR can scale them, then I can apply them on export.

That is where I add my watermark is on export from LR. It does scale and really gives you a lot of control. I have set up several different presets for this and for export depending on what I'm doing with the photo.

Not able to open LR right now to check. I know the export function includes an option to add a watermark. If you highlight all your images in library view then export all it will apply a watermark to every one. The watermark option in Export allows you to choose which watermark you want to use including a GIF and to specify the location including margins.

That is where I add my watermark is on export from LR. It does scale and really gives you a lot of control. I have set up several different presets for this and for export depending on what I'm doing with the photo.

I'll have to look at it again.. I couldn't remember it having the ability to scale them.

Told you wrong on previous post my watermarks are PNG files. In PS, they are setup as a custom brush. Allowing me to individually scale and place the watermark. In LR you can choose either a PNG or JPEG, I use the same PNG file, but you have to set up individual watermarks as a preset (left/right/color/spacing/scaling/etc) that you can then choose on the Export window, that will apply them as per the preset instructions. From Adobe:

Create a copyright watermark
  1. In any module, choose Edit > Edit Watermarks (Windows) or Lightroom > Edit Watermarks (Mac OS).

2. In the Watermark Editor dialog box, select a Watermark Style: Text or Graphic.

3. Do either of the following:
    • (Text watermark) Type the text under the preview area and specify Text Options: font, style, alignment, color, and drop shadow. OpenType fonts are not supported.

• (Graphic watermark) Click Choose in the Image Options pane and then navigate to and choose the PNG or JPEG that you want to use.
  4. Specify Watermark Effects:
    Opacity - Adjust the level of transparency of the watermark.

Size-
    ****Proportional - scales the watermark larger or smaller. ****
    Fit-sizes the watermark across the width of the photo.
    Fill -sizes the watermark to fill the height and width of the photo.
    Inset - Repositions the watermark horizontally or vertically in the photo.
    Anchor- Anchor the watermark to one of nine anchor points in the photo, and rotate the watermark left or right.

Here's the link to the page which covers all the instructions for watermarks.

How to use the Watermark Editor to create copyright watermarks in Photoshop Lightroom
So in answer to your question, yes it can scale to your photo.

So in answer to your question, yes it can scale to your photo.

Thanks! That's helpful!

Now I just need to design a watermark to use

If you just want a simple text one, you can do it on the fly in LR. If you want something more, involving graphics, text etc. I found it easier to do in PS.

Yes easier to make in PS. Also make it a PNG as JPEG will not be a transparent background

@Destin - here is an image that I exported from LR that I had it put my watermark on. Once I set up the PNG file and got it the way I wanted it, I told LR to use it and I just put it in the lower corner. The only thought that I have is do I want to add it or not for that particular image.

octaboxtest-29.jpg

Let me start by saying that I hate bad watermarks, and have been trying my best to avoid using watermarks at all. That being said, I'm getting back into selling sports photos from local high school events, and need to watermark them so that I at least get free advertising when people steal my images.

The problem I'm facing is that my images are often cropped to different sizes, so when adding watermarks to a batch of files, the watermark appears a different size in all of them.

I have lightroom and photoshop, and can also use the watermark feature on smugmug.

Is there a way get around this without individually watermarking each photo?

Should I downsize all the images to the same dimensions to make it easier? Or is there a way to scale the watermark automatically to a percentage of the photo size?
Save the trouble, put up low res files that would only make a decent passport photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back